All iPads Does iPad air and iPad mini really need touchid?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Raiton10, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Raiton10 macrumors newbie

I read a lot of posts here about iPad and it seems all want tocuh id on iPad and most likely nex ipads will have it. I wonder why, beacause I think that everyone has smartcase or smartcover it unlocks the ipad automatically it is great. I completely understand meaning of touchid on iPhone, iPhone is way more personal contacts, photos, text messages etc. and it is very comfortable to use and I use it all the time. But on ipad I don´t have personal content, I have there primary apps games videos, emails mostly things for entertaiment. But I don´t think it will be comfortable to use it on ipad.I don´t use home button on ipad very often, there are gestures and sleep/wake fuction does smartcase for me.
    Personally I don´t see big need for touch id on ipad.
    What do you think about this?

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Obviously there's no NEED for it.

But Apple would want to streamline it's products, and the Touch ID is necessary for Apple in terms of marketing.

I don't use the home button as well, with all the multitasking aspect that the iPad offer helps to use the home button less. But I tell you this much, when using the iPhone 5s for awhile and then picking up the iPad. I find myself for a split second wondering why my iPad isn't responding to me holding the home button.

So, it's really toward streamlining more than anything.

3. easy-peasy macrumors regular

Does the iPad air and iPad mini really need a lightning port instead of the 30-pin port?

No... but Apple likes to streamline its products.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have no need for it, but it seems that a lot of people do.

If it will make money or sell iPads I'm sure Apple will add it at some point.

5. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Exactly, everything you said was in honor of yourself. "I".

You seem to dodge the fact that people use iPads for business purposes and they would have very sensitive information on them. Why should the iPhone be used only for storage of private info? iPads would have more of reason to be infused in corporate entities than an iPhone.

And what about people that use them for personal use? They can have pictures, documents and private information they use their iPad to store them on. Touch I.D. is imperative under these situations.

Were you also aware that Touch I.D is used for making purchases in the App Store and the iTunes Store? It helps greatly not having to type in the passwords to buy something. What about accessing the iTunes account? Another password requirement.

As far as you not using the HOME button much. In how many cases would you not be using it? You can't switch apps without it. You can't quit an app without it. You can't use Siri without it.

It's really not a question of how often a person uses the HOME button, this is about password protection.

And the Smart Cover? Seriously?? That's mainly a convenience for turning the iPad on. Anyone that would keep the iPad unlocked allowing the Smart Cover to turn on the iPad and expose it better be living alone and not taking the iPad outside their home.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

On an iPad, you can do all of those things (apart from Siri) without ever touching the home button.

7. Raiton10 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes you can open mustitasking wit gestures. And seriously who use siri I would love to see someone who really uses it, it is faster to do things manually than with siri. I admit the touch id can be good for purchases in appstore thats true.

8. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well I'm new to iPad. I have an iPad Air. I just realized I could do a few things without the home button, but This thread really isn't about the home button now is it? We're talking about the necessity of Touch ID on the iPad

Hey man, don't discredit people's usage for Siri. You seem to be making this about yourself. You did ask for the forum's feedback in regards to Touch I.D on the iPad. It was you that brought up the HOME button's uselessness. I was just addressing your post of what it's commonly used for. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean no one else does either. For the record, I just posted this using Siri. It's great for dictation and finding things on the web especially when people have dexterity issues.
    Features that YOU may not find useful are there for people that do. For example, I prefer to use only a limited amount of hand gestures. It's easier for me to use the HOME button. And that's why it's there, for the rest of us who don't care to use every single fancy hand gesture.