Does iPad need a case?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Mar 1, 2011.

1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I like to keep my stuff nice, but I'm generally careful with what I own in the first place. I have a MacBook Pro and it has no scratches so far. So my question is, do I need a case to keep the back clean?

Obviously this will change if the iPad 2 has a different back.. but I'm pretty fond of the shape/design and aluminum back. I certainly hope they don't decide to go with the curved edges in the mockups, the first design is so much nicer. I found my iPod touch 1G to be a cooler design than my iPod Touch 4G.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Aside from keeping the back clean (which is the least of my concerns) a case will keep the front and corners protected from bumps and drops and provide a comfortable viewing/typing angle when placed in your lap, on a table or airplane tray.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Bsed on my own experience, a case like the Apple IPad case yes; a screen protector not, if you have a case.
    I had my iPad for 7 months and not a single scratch. The screen's glass is strong enough to repel most scratches.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

My wife and I have both had iPads from release date with cases and no screen protector - not a scratch on either. But I'd never consider not using a case. It's just too convenient to slip it into my briefcase or travel bag without worrying if it's brushing up against something. As for my wife, she drops nearly everything on a regular basis and her iPad's fallen off the bed countless times but has come through fine because of the case.

5. MikeDTyke, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

I would say that you can get away without a case if your careful, the only issue the back will scratch a bit on hard surfaces.

I personally have a GelSkin on the back, which personalizes it nicely, makes the back less slippy (v.important) and when i set it down, i'm not worried it's going to get scratched if it's knocked about.

Edit: it also fits the iPad dock with the gelskin on. Something every case, forces you to remove for.

Pristine still after 11 months at home, in the office, the Maldives and Austria. :)

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Tried to use mine without a case for a few days and didn't like it at all. Love the case I have now though.

7. osxnewbe macrumors regular

I like having it in a case. I used the Apple iPad case for about 6 months and received an OtterBox Commuter case for Christmas which I am very happy with. It adds some weight but not an excessive amount in my opinion.

I was fine without a screen protector until my oldest son discover Fruit Ninja on the iPad. Since then, he has put two small scratches on the screen so I put a screen protector on it.

8. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

I have never used a case on my iPad and I had it since day 1 and it looks brand new.

9. 184550 Guest

I'd never consider using my iPad without a case.

I got mine for Christmas and I was too afraid to use it all day because I didn't have a case for it. :p

10. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I used a case for about a week or two. I took it off and never looked back. It is scratched on the back, but that is it. My 3 year old daughter runs all over the house with it and it's still working :)

11. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im getting ipad 2. if the specs are the same and its only thinner and lighter would you guys say its safe to get the incase sleeve now. i was going to get this no matter what but kind of want it when the ipad arrives. im just wondering if it might not fit right if its thinner. ideas please

12. ronjon10 macrumors regular

I find it hard to hold without a case. The black thin apple case is very nice. I don't like the bulkier ones, might as well get an Air if you have one of those.

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Def need a case for typing. Ive had the apple case since I got it and couldnt type on the thing comfortably without it. plus the lid is good protection for the screen.

14. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Naked baby!

No case for me. What's the point of having a thin sleek tablet if you are gonna bulk it up with a case? Who ya keeping it pretty for?