Does iPad Pro default to desktop view or mobile view for Safari?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KadMac, Sep 16, 2015.

1. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

Some of the videos I have watched seem to point to the direction that the iPad Pro defaults to the desktop view of Safari rather than the mobile view. I know Safari has had an option to automatically request desktop view when in mobile view but it didn't always work for every website.

Part of the reason I gave up on my iPad for a MacBook Air was that I wanted to surf the web in desktop view all the time. If I can stay in desktop view for everything, it truly seems like a pro device and is much more tempting to buy.

Anyone else see this in the preview videos from different tech sites? Does 100% desktop view make a difference for you or make the Pro feel more like a laptop replacement?

2. Bill Av macrumors member

I've been trying it out on my iPad Pro, and it seems to me that most pages I visit default to the desktop version of the site. So far, I've only noticed that Feedly seems to default to the mobile version.

3. gidoin macrumors newbie

I get google results in mobile view, any way to change that?

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

as far as I know, iPads default to desktop view.

5. friedmud macrumors 65816

It's important to note that the _iPad_ doesn't default to anything. It's the websites themselves that decide what to serve up based on your web-browser and device.

When you connect to a web server your browser sends a "user-agent" string that tells the website some information about your browser and device (the website can also use other techniques to query information about your device).

Here are some example user-agent strings for iOS devices:

http://m.webapps-online.com/online-tools/user-agent-strings/dv/operatingsystem51849/ios

Using this information the website then makes a decision about what kind of formatting to apply for your case and sends the website to you.

So: if the website detects an iPhone/iPad it might send you a "mobile" website. It could even detect an iPad and send you a website specifically made for iPads! Or it could detect an iPad and serve up the "normal" (desktop) version of the site.

The important part is that the iPad (or even iPhone) doesn't make the choice at all.

So how does "Request Desktop Version" work? It sends a fake user-agent string that mimicks Safari on the desktop... basically it masquerades as a full desktop browser. The site doesn't know any better so it just served up the normal website.

6. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Also important to note that many sites now don't even rely on the user agent, but instead make a decision of how to display themselves based on what resolution they detect. The iPad Pro resolution is higher than many desktop computers, so these sites often give you a very desktop-ish view even though it's not deciding based on user agent.

7. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

"desktop" and "mobile" view is quickly becoming a non-factor. If you look at a site like the Verge or Washington Post you'll see the page scales for any device you use it as. Sooo much better than crappy mobile sites.

I hope with more devices like the iPad pro with multitasking mobile sites will finally die. I'm looking at you New York Times and Wikipedia.

8. Jasmynp, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

Jasmynp macrumors 6502

Jasmynp

@friedmud, I didn't know the tech/terms behind that. Thanks for sharing.

9. friedmud macrumors 65816

No problem! Glad it was useful!

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

I can't even open YouTube in safari while I have the YouTube app installed. Kinda annoying

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

puffin pro is a great web browser that supports flash. it has a setting that defaults to desktop websites. plus since it supports flash certain websites like youtube desktop version work perfectly when it wont work in safari. its also lightening fast. i have had different browsers now chrome safari atomic web ect.. puffin pro is the best of all of them..