Does iPad work with AirPort express?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nvcplus, Aug 8, 2011.

1. nvcplus macrumors regular

I travel a lot and would like to start only using my iPad when I do. Unfortunately most hotel rooms that I stay in offer wired only internet access.

If I bring my Airport express can I use it with the iPad without setting it up with a computer?

2. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I use my airport express to allow my iPad to connect to hotel wired internet, but until iOS 5 release in the fall, you will have to preconfigure it. (But once it's configured at home, you don't have to touch it as you move from hotel to hotel.)

You use your computer to set up the airport express in bridge mode (and assign a network name and password.) Once you do that, you can hook up your ipads, ipods, etc without issue.

I made this video a little while ago for someone showing where the setting is for bridge mode.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_0vidDHJcI

The rumor is that iOS5 will allow you to set everything up from the iPad/iPhone under the settings app.

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

That is really useful. Thanks for the advice/video.

Can I ask where you have used it at?

I travel to Japan a lot, and just wondering if they might have their networks setup weirdly or something.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I have used it mostly in the US, but also have used it some in Mexico, Canada and some of the islands. I am a pilot for a fractional airline, so I live about 1/2 my life out of a suitcase.

I have used it at all the major chains of hotels, Hilton, Starwood, Holiday Inn, etc.

In addition to the airport express itself, I carry an ethernet cord, and both the longer wired cable (from an old macbook power supply?) and the "duckbill". Although I rarely need any of them, it sucks if either the internet cable is not provided, or the provided one won't reach enough to use the normal "duckbill" flip up US adapter.

I don't know about japan, but as long as you have the right plug I can't imagine it not working.

P.S. It's fantastic not toting a laptop around. I learned early on even the plastic 13" macbook weighs a ton after a week on the road.

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Wow, you just totally sold me on one. Thank you for all the tips as well.