Does iPad's ebook include a dictionary

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iKerry, Apr 5, 2010.

1. iKerry macrumors newbie

I want to know if the book reader feature in iPad has a dictionary. In other words, can I underline a word in a book and have it bring up its definition. If yes, can you provide a link to an official description that describes this feature? Also, if yes, is it included or an app?

I've been doing a lot of browsing and have only found one iffy claim that it has a dict. The absence of touting this feature makes me wonder.

Ideally I'd like to hear from someone that has used both a Kindle and the iPad's reader dictionary feature.

Thanks,

Kerry

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

3. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can select a word and you can prong up a pop-up window that tells you the definition. It is built in the app. It is also available in Pages app. Verry useful.

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

5. iKerry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to both. Dictionary link? Does that mean it's a two-step feature rather than an immediate popup of the defined word? I had been thinking of getting a Kindle solely for that feature.

gibbz, your image looks like I'd have to select the word to be defined and then click the dict tab to get to the definition. I had read the page of the URL you provided. It left me confused enough to post here.

Thanks for the quick replies,

Kerry

6. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

yes, two steps, but simple enough I think. Once you click on "Dictionary" a popup comes up with the definition(s)

7. diabolic macrumors 68000

It's easily the best implementation of a dictionary in an ereader that I have used. I've had a Kindle, Kindle 2, and a Nook. The touchscreen makes it easy. Two touches and the definition is up.

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

How about a standalone Dictionary app with Thesaurus, the one found on Mac OS??? Very often I have to look up a word, no, not within a text.

How hard is it to include a Mac OS dictionary app?!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

9. Maaz macrumors 6502a

There is a very good dictionary.com app.

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Dictionary.com app is totally rubbish compared to the Mac OS one.

Look what Apple Dictionary app has to offer:
    - Dictionary
    - Thesaurus
    - Japanese-English
    - Japanese Synonyms
    - Apple Dictionary
    - German-English
    - German Thesaurus
    - Wikipedia

11. iKerry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all,

Yes I see now that it does pop up instantaneously after pressing Dictionary tab—without having to reenter the word.

Much appreciation,

Kerry