Does iPhone 3G lie flat? Scratch/Crack resistant?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ncsmith4, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

It looks to me like it has a bit of a rounded back. Does anyone know definitively how it lies on a table (or other flat surface)? The current iPhone lies flat obviously, and Im a little concerned about the new one wobbling around...

Which brings me to my second question... How resistant is it to scratches (and cracks)? Does anyone who has handled one know if its some sort of polycarbonate? I know Ive dropped my phone a couple times, and it just put a few little scratches on the aluminum. But Im afraid that those drops might actually CRACK a *plastic* shell. :-/

Thoughts? Comments?

2. ICTUS TACTUS macrumors newbie

Well I know ever single phone I've ever owned has been made out of plastic...

Everything breaks.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

It looks like the same material used for the front of the 5G iPods, nanos, etc. Those scratched pretty easily.

I don't think it'll lie flat on the table since the back is curved. You might just want to get a cloth and put the phone on top of that so it doesn't wobble around too much.

4. ICTUS TACTUS macrumors newbie

5. msantos86 macrumors newbie

It should lie flat with no problem (no wobbling).

look here:
    [​IMG]

At least 60-70 percent of the phone is flat on the surface, so that should make it stable on a table or any flat surface.

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

looks like it could sit flat, but definitely more wobbly than the 1st gen.

7. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, this is the pic that kinda worries me. It looks a little too rounded like its gonna rock back and forth. :-\

8. swanage macrumors newbie

I too am concerned about the new iPhones curved back (termed Scoliosis by the medical profession) and its possibly wobbling.

What if you were on a ship moving through a violent storm?....if the phone were on a hard surfaced table and a large wave hit the ship would the phone wobble and thus potentially scratch itself?

9. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

10. thevibesman macrumors regular

I do think it looks like there is enough of a flat back so the iPhone will not wobble if it is on a table that is not moving. In a violent storm, I don' think wobbling induced scratches will be your problem--both generations would probably slide off the table :D

11. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but the iPhone 3G would scratch itself up sliding off the table while the EDGE one wouldnt. ;)

But I guess if its THAT bad of a storm, the ship might sink, in which case both phones would be bricks anyway. haha.

12. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

13. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

It sits flat in all the iPhone imagery on Apple.com and in the few pictures floating around of the actual phone. It will sit flat.

14. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It will sit flat on a table, it is the corners and edges that are rounded, so that shouldn't be a problem. As for scratching, a reviewer site that was lucky enough to receive one posted that it was very prone to scratches, search around the forums and I am sure that you will find the link.

15. meagain macrumors 68030

Which reviewer site "received" one?

I'm putting a skin on mine.

16. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

rsonally i like/find myself, putting the phone on a desk flat and using it, it will move around now i think making that more difficult..

worried about it cracking when i drop it, i dropped my original about 15 times i rekkon, few dints diddnt bother me.

bah will have to see wont we..

17. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, but molded plastic doesnt DENT. it CRACKS. thats what im worried about...

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Apparently I was mistaken when I said that a review site received one, but rather it was iLounge (a review site) that took the views of developers that got to use the iPhone 3G for several hours and put them in their article about how scratch-prone the back of the device was, they compared the prone-to-scratching on the back to the 1st Gen iPod nanos along with other iPods with those polished silver backs (or whatever material it was). Here is the link to the article:

Article Link

19. mark34 macrumors 6502a

i should have replied in this thread: see minute 3:10 of the Mobile Me guided tour.. you will see it sit flat

20. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

on note to that review
    why the hell doesnt it have a camera?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
  21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Wobbly, sit flat, sit...rollover...it don't matter to me I'll take (3) please! :p

22. bigmac7 macrumors member

when you watch that mobile me video it kind of looks like it would wobble.

23. thevibesman macrumors regular

Yeah, that doesn't look like the picture on Apple's website. Not only does it look like it is missing the camera, but it seems to be missing metal buttons on the side.

24. vabigpoppa macrumors member

25. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

even if it was just the shell, we would be able to see the red table cloth through the hole.