Does iPhone 3GS push gmail labels too?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mischka07, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Mischka07 macrumors regular

Hi all

I have gmail setup on my 3GS via Exchange. There is an
    option to enable push notification on multiple folders + Inbox, but it doss not appear to be working. Each time I go to the Sent or All Mail folders, it only shows the last emails I downloaded the last time I opened the folder. The mail app then takes about 1-3 minutes to d/l the new messages.

Is there some trick to enabling push in gmail folders?

Thanks!

2. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Tu13es macrumors regular

It should. I have mine set to Push a few labels that are set to Skip the Inbox. When I get mails in these labels I get the mail icon at the top and the new mail notification sound, however it does NOT give me the label on the Mail icon.

I don't think I did anything particularly special to set this up other than add the labels in Mail Folders to Push.

5. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Tu13es.

Maybe push is the wrong word, maybe I should ask does iPhone 3GS syncgmail labels?

Basically, if I open up my inbox on the Mail app, everything loads very quickly. But the moment I switch to another folder (label), the Mail app has to sync/load all the new mail. As I mentioned below, it can take up to a few minutes for the messages to load.

If there's a way to get the folders in the Mail app to sync with the labels in Gmail, I would be very, very impressed. I actually spend more time on Gmail in the mobile web browser than I do in the Mail app, largely because it takes way too long to access the messages in my labels.

6. Tu13es macrumors regular

It should, I think.

I have a folder set to Push and when I open it I see all my latest emails pretty quickly. If I get a Push notification, opening the folder only takes a few seconds since all the messages already seem to be cached on the iPhone. Opening another label folder which isn't set to Push and that I haven't opened in a while takes a while to open/update, though.

7. Mischka07 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again. I should also mention I'm on ActiveSync, which to mean would mean that all labels should "Sync" with the folders on the Mail app.

I guess it could also be that I haven't given the app enough time to update? I have thousands of pieces of mail, so perhaps it's going to take a long time for it to sync.