Does iPhone 4 Bumper really scratch the phone ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by LevMac, Sep 26, 2011.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys, thinking about getting the "white" bumper for my white iPhone 4, heard of some people say it scratches the aluminium band around the phone, is this true ?

Not sure whether to get it or not, the white bumper does look nice on the white iPhone...

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's not the bumper that scratches the stainless steel band but the dust which gets trapped inside. I've been using the bumper on mine since last August and the band is pretty messed up even though I've cleaned it regularly. :(

3. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Thanks for the reply, I'm actually thinking about putting some invisible shield around the aluminium frame, then putting the bumper on, call me picky, but at least it will keep it protected I guess !

4. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely do that ^. I used a bumper on mine for the first 3-4 months without ever taking it off. It wasn't extremely destroyed but it had marks all over the aluminum band. I know I should have cleaned it more often but i'm not sure how much it would have helped as explained in the post above yours.

5. LevMac thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Yeah, I think to be safe I will just apply some invisible shield to the outside of the aluminium band, then put the bumper on, at least then I know ill be safe of scratches !

Thanks guys

6. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

PEOPLE!!!!! It's not aluminum, it's stainless steel!!!! :mad:
    And, yes, my stainless steel band is quite scratched from the bumper.

7. kicko macrumors 65816

if you put a skin on the band and then use a bumper it does not fit correctly. It may or may not bother you. it bothered me enough not to use the skin. Right now i'm using a tpu bumper that has a black matte finish on the outside. Its slightly thicker then the apple bumper and the edges i think cover just a touch more to help things not get stuck inside. I found it on ebay for $3 from a link someone suggested in this forum.

8. dqfayi macrumors regular

white iPhone perfect with white case. That's the classical match!

9. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

All my iPhones have been totally caseless.

1. A part of what you pay for the phone contributes to design and form factor; I like that aspect of these phones, so I choose not to cover it up.

2. If you're careful with your products (and I know you guys are), the software of your phone will make it obsolete faster (with upgrades that come with new handset releases) than regular wear and tear to the hardware.

3. A lot of the protection you can buy for your handsets actually do significantly more damage to the hardware than no protection at all, ironically (as evident by the issues brought up in this thread, as well as issues such as the glass back of iPhone 4 being broken due to dust build up behind hard cases).

The last point I think is most relative to this thread, but all three are why I choose to go caseless. Does anyone else do the same?