Does iPhone 4S work with any BT car stereo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imacken, Oct 26, 2011.

1. imacken macrumors 65816

Sorry about the basic question, but I've never looked into this before.
    Will the iPhone 4S work with any BT equipped car stereo? So that if it is mounted on the TomTom car kit I can play my music library.
    Is the quality OK with BT? Does it break up at all?

2. Kashika macrumors regular

It works on my BT car radio. I can stream music to it and call of course.

Works good enough. I found that turning the volume on the iPhone down and up on the radio is better for your music quality.

Don't know how this will work on a car-kit.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

For phone calls, it should work with most any system.

For music, it will depend on whether the car's system supports A2DP.

In my vehicle, the audio/nav system doesn't do A2DP, so I just get phone calls through the system over bluetooth.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

BT and Siri everything work in my 2010 ford Fusion Sport with Sync and Navigation.

5. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Works for me

It should work with MOST BT-equipped head units, although if you search the forum you will find some reports of problems with specific car stereo brands/models.

Streaming works great with my Clarion, and with the stock radio in my wife's 2011 Honda. Music quality is EXCELLENT, no skips or breakups. Track forward/back, pause/play both work from either the radio controls or the phone. Call answer/end also works from either the radio controls or the phone. Music automatically fades out to mute when a call comes in, and resumes where it left off when the call ends.

My Clarion is suppposed to be capable of downloading contacts from the phone, and of displaying callerID information for calls. Neither of those functions work with the iPhone, but they didn't work with my wife's Nokia either so I really can't blame that on the iPhone.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The 4S works great with my Jabra Cruiser handsfree phone and audio streaming device. The quality of the streaming audio is significantly improved over that of the 3GS, too. No pops and cracks, etc. I suspect that is a result of the new Bluetooth chipset in the 4S.

7. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. Has anyone had experience of using the 4S with the Tomtom carkit? Is the phone still able to push music through to the car stereo via BT if it's connected to the TT carkit?