Does iPhone 5 need a back protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Slightly Hyphy, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Slightly Hyphy macrumors member

Simple question. My current phone is the iPhone 4 which had the glass back, so I have a screen protector on the back. Does the iPhone 5 also need a back protector given that it now has a metal back?

2. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Since the scratching claims are out there, I'm going to use one if I go caseless or bumper.

3. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

Yes it does. Got a few nicks (very small, almost unnoticeable) on day one by having my headphones (ear pods) in the same pocket.

4. Slightly Hyphy thread starter macrumors member

I plan to use a case on my iphone 5 when I get it...so do you think a back protector is still necessary? I'm not sure if pieces of dust or something could scratch the iphone 5 back even when it is in case?

5. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

Im using a case but I still want to use a back protector. I wanna avoid wet installs thought.

6. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

I'm going to use one with a bumper. Would not bother otherwise.

7. Insilin1i macrumors regular

I'v always used screen and back protectors on my phones, and I would think the iPhone 5 is going to need it to. Though I never used cases on mine. Just waiting for SGP to release their full body kit dry install because I'm not much of a fan of wet installs.

8. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

I keep hearing about the iPhone 5 back being easily scratched. Dont have one currently but going to purchase one real soon.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

waiting for my full body protector from bodyguardz.com. I'll only be using the sides and back with a monoprice bumper.