Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
With my iPod classic, it's smart enough to convert hi res photos into iPod res photos automatically. However it's not smart enough to convert videos automatically (yes I know the conversion would take a while, but I don't care, rather have it automatic and not have to have a hi res and ipod res vid on itunes).

With the iPhone, does it automatically convert hi res video into iphone res video? Or, is there an app that will automatically do that for me?

I haven't got an iPhone by the way, but I'm considering getting one eventually. Judging by the size of my itunes (63.79 GB), a 64 GB iPhone won't be big enough, so I'll need the 128 GB (I want my whole library). I guess I'll have to keep waiting.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
With my iPod classic, it's smart enough to convert hi res photos into iPod res photos automatically. However it's not smart enough to convert videos automatically (yes I know the conversion would take a while, but I don't care, rather have it automatic and not have to have a hi res and ipod res vid on itunes).

With the iPhone, does it automatically convert hi res video into iphone res video? Or, is there an app that will automatically do that for me?
well to convert to an iPhone compliant video format I would suggest using handbrake as it takes a couple of clicks and it will convert the video for you but there is no auto convert feature in iTunes.

I haven't got an iPhone by the way, but I'm considering getting one eventually. Judging by the size of my itunes (63.79 GB), a 64 GB iPhone won't be big enough, so I'll need the 128 GB (I want my whole library). I guess I'll have to keep waiting.
64gb iPhone wont do so you want the 128gb one? lol theres not even a 64gb iPhone out lol

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

How hi res is 'hi res'? The iPhone 4 handles my 720p videos just fine. If your resolution is higher than that, I'll second the recommendation for handbrake.

Also, when you say you're library is 64 GB, are you referring to video only or everything? You do realize the announcement of iCloud on Monday may eliminate the need to carry around your music library on your phone? Also, there are a bunch of apps that you can use to stream video and audio from your home library to your phone that will even convert on the fly. My personal favorites are Air Video or StreamToMe (not sure if they're available on the Australian iTunes store).

If you are waiting for a phone with capacity to hold your entire library (which I'm sure you'll probably add to), you're going to be waiting a very long time. My suspicion is that with the 'cloud' coming, Apple feels there is less need for hardware memory, so you may never even see 64 GB, much less 128 GB iPhones.

Last edited:

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Also, when you say you're library is 64 GB, are you referring to video only or everything? You do realize the announcement of iCloud on Monday may eliminate the need to carry around your music library on your phone?
I'd say that was more purchase related than your own personal media

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
Right, so it sounds like it isn't automatic. A bit disappointed, I thought they were on to something with iPhoto, and having your library automatically sync AND convert to correct resolution. Next logical step would be to have your videos automatically sync, but oh well.

Yeah I realise there isn't a 64 GB iPhone at the moment, let alone a 128 GB. And the 64 GB library is music, podcasts, photos, and movies (probably in that order, music is the majority).

Why don't I just embrace the cloud? Well firstly none of my stuff is from iTunes, it's from CDs, youtube downloads, and other stuff (but no illegal donwloading :D !!). Secondly, internet data doesn't come cheap here in Australia. 2 GB will cost me like $20-30 a month, if you want something like 6 GB it quickly hits $50. Free internet is rare also. So no, not particularly interested. In my opinion, the cloud thing is a very narrow-minded concept designed purely for America (making an ill-informed guess here), as most countries don't have good wifi everywhere, and mobile internet is expensive. So please, bring on the 128 GB iPhone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.