Does iphone e-mail from at&t work if I travel to Japan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jaydhil24, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Jaydhil24 macrumors member

I will be going on a trip to japan this summer and am and will be purchasing the 3g iphone in july. I will be on vacation in august will i be able to email with the phone over there and is the browser online or is the phone useful if you leave the country?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

3. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well the iphone does not work on japanese networks due to that the iphone does not have 3g so that is why you need wi-fi

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

He mentioned he will be getting a 3G iphone.

To OP: no one knows now because we don't know what network freq it will support.

If the phone supports the following on UMTS (3G) then it *should* work: 800/850/1900/2100 since 800 and 2100 are used in Japan.

However since no hard facts have been released it's impossible to tell at the moment.

Wifi would still be compatible regardless though.

5. Red Sox macrumors regular

Yup, there's plenty of free wifi over there. Any McDonalds will have free wi-fi, and they're all over the place.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

too bad McDonalds here in the US doesn't have free Wi-Fi...

7. Jaydhil24 thread starter macrumors member

That will be cool because I was chatting with Apple and they said you can pay extra and use the at&t network over in japan but make sure to call and check out how much it will cost you or use wifi.

Thanks for letting me know wifi is easily available in Japan unlike here in the US.