Does iPhone Hack pose a threat Tiger/Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ben1l, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Ben1l macrumors regular

I was just thinking....

Does all the "work" thats gone into hacking the iPhone (running OSX) mean that in theory the operating system itself is at risk? Surely if you hack the iPhone version of the software then applying that to Tiger/Leopard means its not as secure as it used to be?

what do people think?

2. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The two are fundamentally different.
    "Hacking" is a term that is often misunderstood. "Hacking" the iPhone is working out a way to get software onto your own device, that you have physical access to, and that is not directly available for modification.
    "Hacking" as in cracking into an operating system means not having physical access to the computer, and very different objectives.
    The iPhone being "hacked" does not affect Tiger or Leopard.

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Did he actually hack the phone :confused: I thought he only hacked the sim to allow other operators to use the phone ?? this is whats reported in the UK:

the iPhone was made to work on overseas networks using another method, which involves copying information from the Sim (Subscriber Identity Module) card.

However, special equipment was needed and the actual phone was not unlocked, with each Sim card having to be reprogrammed for use on a particular iPhone.

:p but i don't claim to know what i'm on about, I believe the news i read :D.

it is a pretty sad way to spend your summer though, i think they said it took about 700 hours in total to work it out.