Does iPhone purchased through IUP have to be activated with the same SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TrainFromUkraine, Sep 14, 2017.

1. TrainFromUkraine macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine

I am T-Mo customer and as such can not enroll in IUP online, obviously. My wife has AT&T line (MIL's phone) and offered to use that line to enroll into IUP and pre-order X when it becomes available.

My question is, when we receive X is it possible to eject AT&T SIM before I even power it on for the first time and activate it with my T-Mobile SIM instead?

2. Dmal99 macrumors 6502

id say probably yes because you are still gonna have to pay them for it

3. TrainFromUkraine thread starter macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine

That's what I am thinking/hoping for is that Apple won't care which SIM it will be activated with as long as they get paid.

4. Kahsheh macrumors regular

Based on my past mail order, it needs to activate with the phone number and sim in the phone for iup. For full price purchase, it is a non issue.

5. TrainFromUkraine thread starter macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine

Any idea what would happen if I tried activating it with T-Mobile SIM?

6. chunology macrumors 6502

I am on t-mobile but wanted verizon's phone as it works with every carrier. I used my brother's verizon information last year, ordered a verizon iPhone 7 plus.

When it arrived, I pulled the sim from the phone before I powered it on. It asked me to verify my brother's verizon information. I entered in his info, did a factory reset on the phone, plugged in my sim card and it worked on t-mobile.

7. TrainFromUkraine thread starter macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine

Did you order it from VZW or through Apple IUP? If the phone was "virgin" why was it necessary to do a factory reset?

8. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I believe that it needs to be activated with the SIM card it comes with since its being signed up for IUP. Plus the server knows that the phone is on IUP and will require to be activated before you can use the phone. But just swap sim afterward and insert that att sim the phone your wife will use.

9. chunology macrumors 6502

I ordered through IUP. Verizon's phones are unlocked by default (I popped in my wife's SIM who's on verizon and was able to connect to their network). It looks like they load something onto the phone at the factory that ties it to the account that was used but I was able to activate a verizon IUP phone on Tmobile.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 601

When I signed up for iUP on Verizon phone it didn't allow me to activate with my old Verizon sim and couldn't get past the activation server and had me call Verizon to activate the new sim it come with. Not a big deal.

11. TrainFromUkraine thread starter macrumors member

TrainFromUkraine