Does iPhone still overheat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ant131531, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ant131531 macrumors member

It has been over a month now and I am thinking about buying my first iPhone is which is the iPhone 3G S. I am asking if the new iphones that are in stores will have this overheating problem and if so, when will the 3.1 software release to fix this. Thanks.

2. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

Umm can anyone help me with this question? Thanks.

3. Nickday89 macrumors regular

I have had my 3GS since launch and it's yet to overheat

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

5. iphonefreakz macrumors member

iphonefreakz

6. ant131531 thread starter macrumors member

No, im saying the iphoen currently in store meaning not the ones release on june 19th, but like a new shipload of iphone 3gs, do u think they will still have the overheating problem.

7. iphonefreakz macrumors member

iphonefreakz

hmm.. i think so, because they didn't made any adjustments on the new shipping right? But i am not sure.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Who said anything about 3.1 fixing overheating?

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Who said anything about the iPhone overheating, period?

10. calvy macrumors 65816

Leave your google maps running for a while while in a car or walking and letting it use the 3G connection. It'll get hot, I promise. But I've never had it get so hot I couldn't touch it.

This is with my 3GS. But it's been that way with my 3G too.

11. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Come on

One OCD post a thread then all the other OCD's come running out of the wood work I thought about making something up just too see how many fallow. I have seen other ocd talk about it. so if he searches he will find some of his answers I guess my phone came the 1st day and I don't have a heat issue. I heard that the 2010 model will have a fan though. I liked to how op asked and then was irradiated cause he hadn't had a answer in about 10 minutes. I guess when he post we jump. Sorry Op Chillacks! and search not just here but google it's a wonderful thing.

13. Ratpack1961 macrumors member

Someone at my work just got a 3gs and it was noticeably warm on the back when I played around with it. Also I had to turn off push notifications for them to avoid battery drain.

Hopefully 3.1 will fix these issues but so far none of the beta testers indicate that the heat and battery issue are definitely fixed.

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Actually, I'm one of those that had an overheating issue with my 3GS and a software glitch as well. Got it replaced with a NIB 3GS 32GB Black iPhone and I'm not OCD (according to my therapist)....:eek::eek::eek:

15. TheMBC macrumors 6502

My 3G (not S) is beginning to overheat a lot, it's pretty hot :eek: (no, seriously)

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try doing a DFU restore. If it's still under warranty and that doesn't help take it back for a replacement

17. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Mine gets hot sometimes. Once I was tethering via cable to my computer (legally with Fido) and my phone got really hot that I had to remove it from the Griffin Reveal and stop tethering to prevent potential damage. It was almost as hot as my Early '08 Macbook Pro.

18. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Will do tomorrow, and check out some friends' iPhones. Maybe it's just normal.

19. Bigyella macrumors member

Well, guys and gals!,, I bought my 3GS on launch day! About 7 pm.. got it home sync it, and all was fine! made, and received a few phone calls, sent and received a few text! I never played with an app, or messed with any of the new features,, It was getting very hot, during texting! In the middle of a text, it lost all service... Not At&t logo, no wifi logo nothing!... And then the battery went down very quick! I tried charging it.. restore, and nothing! The next morning, I got it to charge up to about 30% on the way to exchange it, but still no service.. They gave me a new one, with no problem,, but the new one has has a hot battery, and drained very fast, until I restored it as a new phone.. and it has worked great since! HTH...

20. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I notice that it gets warm when I run some applications like facebook or aim for a while.

I don't know what constitutes over-heating. It is a little uncomfortable (never felt a phone get so warm) but I didn't think it was unbearable.

I also have relatively poor battery life. I did go roughly 10 hrs today using the internet sporadically, texting, a few minutes of talking. Not bad at all, but not great. I am not sure what is supposed to be normal as this is my first iphone.

I love it though. For everything it does, I am impressed. If they extended the battery life, I would be blown away even more. Being able to go a full day (8AM-12AM) without worrying about charging (and having push on, using all the features, etc.) would be a fanastic update for the future. I'd be willing to sacrifice some bulk. I personally think the iphone is too thin to be held comfortably in your hands while typing with two thumbs. The thinness is great for pocket-feel and sleekness though.

21. EdoDodo macrumors newbie

I've had both the iPhone 3G and the 3G S and have never had an issue with it overheating.

It gets a bit hot sometimes (like when using it in the car for maps) but never to the point where it could be an issue.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

23. scottuf macrumors 6502

just today for the 1st time my 3gs overheated. had it in a ziplock to keep it dry at the pool. it was HOT today (south florida) and i was listening to ipod. all of the sudden the music stopped and i looked at the screen and it said something about Temperature (too sunny to really see the screen). i put it in the shade out of the bag to let it cool down and in a few mins came back to life.

24. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

hahaha for putting it in a ziploc bag! If you have to do that, you may want to re-think how you use your iPhone.

25. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, direct sunlight is bad for your iPhone PERIOD.....:eek:

Actually, a ziplock bag is great for protection from water.....:cool: