Does iPhone support native contact categories/groupging like android does?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Sep 7, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Apple has been amazing since 2007 at adapting to the needs of its users in terms of features that the OS has lacked from mms, to multitasking, etc...

One feature I CANNOT seem to find on my dads iphone4 which is CRUCIAL to ME and i would think most people who use their phones for business and pleasure is the ability to categorize or group your contacts. I am able to do this currently on android and it has been a feature that has been around since the Palm days who introduced the smart phone. For example I can have 20 numbers under business, 50 under friends, 70 under family and so on. I can create these categories right from the phone and add or delete to them and they sync with my gmail contacts.

How come this is not possible with iPhone or is it and I just cant figure out how to do it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you looked too in depth.

I see group names as plain as day on my iPhone and on my Mac within Address Book

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you tell me how please? Cause Im talking about where I can add contacts and within the contact add a category or group to put it in, there is no such thing in the new contacts field.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For some dumb reason you can't make or add to groups from the device. You have to do it on the computer (Address Book [OS X], Outlook [Win]).

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Bingo. Never understood why this is the case.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm sure they'll add the ability eventually, especially with the whole pc free push in iOS 5. It's probably too low on the priority list at the moment. To clarify, you can't create or add to groups in iOS 5 either ... at least yet.