Does iPhone sync backup draft email data through iTunes???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphonehelp0123q, Mar 3, 2010.

1. iphonehelp0123q macrumors newbie

My iPhone recently crashed and sadly (more like devastatingly) I had a bunch of crucial draft emails on it that are part of a series of books I'm writing (yes I know I'm a moron for not sending them/backing them up!! Lesson learned, ouch!!). One reason I didn't send them was being under the impression that when I sync the phone through iTunes all data on the phone gets backed up. Obviously I'm hoping this is still the case. Can anyone tell me for sure if it is and if so how I can retrieve it???? FYI the draft emails were part of a POP account, so only local to the device itself (so no point checking the server - which would be the case with an IMAP account).

Thank you!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure iTunes is pretty hands-off with the e-mail services.

Between IMAP, POP, and Exchange (and all the settings of each) there are dozens of settings that you could have your e-mail using. Because of all the variables I think iTunes just gets out of the way, lest it mess something up by accident.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case which means you're out of luck. You should set up an IMAP account from now on and set it to sync drafts with the server, not the local storage. I don't like to have ANYTHING live on my phone that I don't have a copy of elsewhere. If my phone falls off a cliff I think my video game scores are the only things I'll actually lose.

Phones are pretty fragile in the grand scheme of things.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. Jason B macrumors regular

I just backed up my 3GS, and then restored that backup to my new Iphone 4. After doing this, all the email from my pop email account, "inbox", "outbox" "sent", and "drafts" is gone! It's still all on my 3GS, but none of those emails are on the Iphone 4.

I called apple as I had a the same issue when I went from my 3g to 3gs. I just went from a 3gs to a iphone 4. Apple said pop email isn't backed up in the backups!

That means everything in my sent box, drafts, etc. is gone! Yes, I also download these emails on my home computer, which pulls them off the server, but I wanted to still have those copies on my iphone. I can't believe this.