Does iPhone upgrade come locked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwd3885, Nov 19, 2015.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I am currently on Sprint but might be switching carriers soon (AT&T or T-Mobile). If I buy an iPhone through iPhone Upgrade Plan, I know it has to be activated in store. Once it's activated, does it lock to that network? I want to be able to buy while on Sprint but keep my options open and possibly switch in a few months if I need to. Is that possible?

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Easiest option is to just purchase the sim free one. Then stick whatever carrier SIM you have into that phone. Backup your current phone before starting the process.

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

oh i didn't know you could purchase a SIM-free phone on the upgrade plan. Cool!

4. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68010

MuGeN PoWeR

iphones on iphone upgrade program come unlocked anyway. and i dont think you will be able to buy a SIM free on iphone upgrade program.

5. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

An iPhone purchased outright for full price, or via the Apple Upgrade Program, all come unlocked. Sim-free is also unlocked (it's the AT&T model but without a pre-loaded sim card) but there's some conflicting information as to whether you can purchase it using the upgrade program, since the UP requires the phone be activated at the time of purchase. Some stores seem to be allowing people to pop in a sim card at purchase to activate, other stores are saying no.