Does iPhone Use 802.1n on AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Advance The Man, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

...or does it use G and slow the whole system down? In the next few days my setup will include an iMac that is n compatible, two Apple TV's and two iphones. I also have a powerbook that won't use 'n', however this will be of nominal use. I want to set it up where it's as fast as possible - especially for the apple tv's, but thinking the iphone will slow it down. Is this the case?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The iPhone does not have an 802.11n chip in it.

It uses g.

3. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

So it will slow it down?

When you have a slower unit like the iPhone slowing the entire network down, does the network immediately pick back up to n speeds after it's (iphone) turned off?

4. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, looking at the Airport Extreme Base Station - does it's Simultaneous dual-band Wi-Fi allow you to use the iPhone on a G network and have the apple tv and imac stay on the n network?

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

The new model of the Extreme and Time Capsule runs two different networks (one b/g, one n) simultaneously so the iPhone being on the b/g network shouldn't slow down the separate n network.

6. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, what a great selling point! Will be buying one.

7. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

So same question than about the first version of TC. I just got an new Imac and have a macbook for the wife and an iphone. I have never tinkered with the N/G/B settings.

If I set to N - it will revert to B/G when I phone is on/connected to the network?
    If I set to N and iphone not on or connected it will stay N and be faster for the Imac and laptop

I wanted to check out the N setting and see if faster at all. Just want to fully understand before I tinker with settings.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

From the tinkering I did with my original Time Capsule:

If I set it to a 802.11n-only (meaning a/b/g couldn't join even if they wanted to), my Mac showed that it was connected to the TC at 300mbps.

If I set it to an 802.11b/g/n network, my Mac showed that it was connected at 130mbps.

I didn't run any actual speed tests copying files around. To me it seemed like the 802.11n-only network had the potential to go a lot faster, so I simply left it like that and then setup my old 802.11b/g router as a bridge, so I essentially did with two routers what the new Extremes and TCs can do with one router.

9. westernmass macrumors 6502

westernmass

Out of curiosity, I have a Airport Express in the house as well. If I set the TC to N could I get a signal for my iPhone just from the Express and the imac and the macbook get the N signal from the TC?

The express is at this time only used for the stereo

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

The Express could do that, but you'd need to connect it to the TC via Ethernet to do so.