Does Iphone use its battery while charging, if in use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blabbermouth88, May 13, 2009.

1. Blabbermouth88 macrumors newbie

I use my iphones WiFi alot when in bed, and the Wifi drains the battery like a b**ch. I figured that my iphone ain't gonna last long if I keep using it like this. So I figured If I plugged it up while using it in bed, and it redirects using the power directly from the Wall then I won't be buying a another iphone in the near future.

So does the iphone switch to using power directly from the wall when charging If I'm using it, rather than the battery?

Thanks

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I think it will recharge the battery and once it's reach full charge, it will draw power from the power supply.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, it probably draws straight from the wall once fully charged. I've used some of my old phones without a battery just plugged into a source... I don't see why the iPhone would be any different.

4. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

but i've noticed with my iPod Touch (b4 it got stolen).... that if i use it while charging, (whether w/ macbook or directly to a wall plug), it will take a lot more time than it usually does... maybe because when it is being used, the battery is used not the power supply....

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you are using it while charging it takes longer to charge. Less power is available to charge the battery because it is being used to power the device.

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

there is your answer

There are two circuits on almost any device with a battery

1) Battery circuit
    2) AC circuit

If you always use your iPhone plugged into the wall, it will always use the AC circuit, and your battery will last you a lot longer (they still degrade over time, even without use).

/end thread

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its got to use the A/C because if it kept drawing from the battery especially at a high rate, then said battery would never charge or at least take a much longer time to recharge.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My roommate and I had a discussion about this. He was under the impression that wi-fi drains the battery quicker than 3G/Edge usage while I thought using wi-fi saves battery.

I told him I wasn't sure and would look into it. Which one of us is on the right track?

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

You guys should definitely have a battery battle where each of you use the same data just on on wifi and one over 3G/Edge... I honestly think any difference would be too miniscule to be noticed, but a battery battle is the only way to know for sure.