Does iPhone X finally fix one iOS flaw?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gforce216, Sep 14, 2017.

1. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I was just thinking that with the new side button that requires you to hold it to launch Siri and double tap to launch Apple Pay, does this mean you can no longer hold the button to power off the phone?

If so, I think that would be great. One flaw with Find my iPhone is that you can get around it by turning off the phone if a thief stole your device.

iOS 10.3 or 11 (can't remember) introduced the software option to Shut Down in the General Settings.

If that is the case, could it now make it a requirement to unlock the phone to even shut it off?

2. profets macrumors 601

Interesting thought. Though I think by pressing the side button 5 times rapidly it'll go to that SOS screen and power down is an option.

But even if they removed the ability to power down a locked iPhone, one could always remove the sim or force the phone into restore mode.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You are able to turn off your iPhone remotely. Log into your "Find iPhone" account and you can do many things remotely including make it ping, turn it off, erase all content, etc.

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Wait, but the Side button is still there. Can't you hold it down for like 3-5 seconds to bring up "slide to power off" like on older iPhones?

5. gforce216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Valid point. Forgot about the SOS mode.

6. profets macrumors 601

I saw someone ask this during a hands on after the event, and it didn't look like holding it for longer than 3 seconds would trigger the power down screen. I'm not 100% sure though.