Does iPhone4 offer something as good as Google Navigation ?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Darthdingo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am thinking about possibly going to a Verizon iPhone4, once a stable jailbreak is released. I am an Android guy currently, and one thing I love about this phone is the awesome Google Navigation, I uses it almost everyday. Does the iPhone4 offer a similar app, or even the exact same app ?

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

you can get great navigation apps however currently their not built in or free like they are in android. something tells me its coming in the next iOS major update tho.

3. agtwashington macrumors newbie

There are a few free applications but none are built in and the free ones only offer what I would consider "marginal" navigation quality. I have Nagivon and it is the same or beats my Garmin GPS routing ability. I have used it to drive over 2,000 miles and it offered the fastest route. Yeah Navigon is expensive but in my opinion it is worth it.

4. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

there ar ea couple free ones but they aren't as robust as the paid ones. I used my friend's google navigation and found that it wasn't nearly as good as Navigon.

5. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Unfortunately no, Google Navigation is not on the iPhone :(

The stock Maps app does use Google Maps, and you can get directions I believe, but not voice navigation. This is one of the things I will miss the most from my Android phone.

I've found that MapQuest has a map that's free and does voice navigation, but I'm not sure how it compares.

I'm a Google guy and I really loved the Android's navigation app. It was perfect. You could turn your screen off and still get the directions without using so much battery. You could answer or make phone calls during navigation, and even during a phone call it would still tell you when to turn. I also loved the search feature... You could just type (or speak) whatever you wanted... even just something as simple as "Burger King" and it would take you to the nearest location. I was honestly so damn impressed by that app, and I'm sad that Google hasn't released it for iPhone, even though they release other apps for it... :(

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

There is at least one free navigation app for the iPhone. MapQuest will give turn-by-turn directions and is a free app, though I can't speak to its quality.

While not free ($40), I have Navigon for my iPhone. It's a full-fledged GPS turn-by-turn app and doesn't require an available data connection for its map like the free Google (or MapQuest) solutions. I personally really like it and have found it to be quite accurate and reliable on my iPhone 4.

Navigon is a combo iPhone/iPad app and will take advantage of the large screen of the iPad. So if you've got a 3G iPad (needs its GPS receiver), it'll act as a huge-screen nav system.

7. Reefbone macrumors regular

I've never really got all the hubub about mapping apps. I think the built in map and map search works just fine/great for directions etc.

Why is it that people feel they need to be told verbally turn by turn. I'm thinking that feature was only available 7 or so years ago and only inexpensivly in the last 3-5 years. Last time I was on the highway they still has the signs up that indicated the upcoming turns and exits.

8. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Does Navigon require a constant data connection, or does it cache the map and route? Since Verizon doesn't do voice and data at the same time, a phone call would interrupt your navigation if it needs constant data. With Google Navigation, it cached it to your phone so even if you lost your cellular signal for a moment, your GPS navigation wouldn't be interrupted.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

It's helpful so you don't have to completely memorize a route if you're going somewhere unfamiliar, and it keeps you from constantly having to take your eyes off the road to look at a map. It's safer and more convenient.

10. redman042 macrumors 68020

I second the vote for Navigon. If you're lucky you can catch it on sale. It's well worth $40 for a great navigation app that does not depend on the cell network to function. Add the Traffic function and you'll be prepared for just about anything that can happen on the roads.

11. agtwashington macrumors newbie

My third vote for Navigon, no it does require an internet connection, but it will integrate with Google Maps website for searching for points of interest.

12. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

tomtom > navigon, imo. navigon would pick really silly routes when i used it. tomtom has been better.

13. zenio macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't have a decent system period.

Google Nav on my Evo is really awesome.

Yet I like my iPhone for music and other things.

14. Centient macrumors 6502

I'm using Navignon as well. Decent enough. Even off sale the pricing has come down quite a bit in recent months.

15. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Navigon actually has all of the maps preloaded. So while it takes up a (very) large amount of storage space on the phone, you never have to worry about losing a data connection to load maps.

16. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thanks. That does sound like a very good navigation system, possibly better than my Google Maps.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I am, if I do say so myself, a darned good map reader and navigator, on land, sea and air, with both military and civilian experience.

However, after I moved to the Northeast and got stuck in traffic and having to reroute in the insanely complicated streets of New Jersey, I grew to appreciate GPS voice guidance :)

Then there's people like my wife who are map challenged, and GPS is a godsend for her.

As for Google Nav, I cannot count the number of times that I've just hit the voice input on my Droid Incredible and spoke an address or name, and been instantly voice guided to my destination.

As mentioned, you can even say stuff like "nearest coffee" and pick from the results. Once you have such easily used omniscient capability, it's hard to give up.

18. globalist macrumors 6502a

No and no. It has the complaete map downloaded and available offline from the moment you download the app.

19. vegastime macrumors regular

This is a great feature the the iPhone really needs, in my opinion.

Not having to type anything in is VERY convenient.

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

There are really only 3 situations where I need a GPS.

1. Driving in a new city. I usually turn the sound off but verbal directions are great when driving in a new city, especially during heavy traffic. In fact I'd say it's a safety requirement.

2. Roadtrips. My roadtrips invariably take me to far away places without cellular coverage. Offline maps are a necessity if a unit is to be of any use.

3. Hiking. Again, no cellular coverage dictates offline maps with topgraphical data and the ability to set waypoints.

An iPhone with a proper mapping application becomes a complete GPS replacement. Without one it's of limited use to me.

21. icepuck72 macrumors newbie

you've got to be kidding me....I've owned both Android phones and now an iPhone 4, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to google navigation on Android.

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Now that i have my iPhone I am going to pass my garmen GPS down to my daughter. Based on this thread it sounds like navigon is the best app currently for the iPhone.

23. AWelbourn macrumors newbie

I feel left behind, I use the standard Google Maps app that came with the iPhone. It's not great, but it does the job. Although occasionally it pins me down to somewhere in a mile radius, rather than 2 meters!

24. nutmac macrumors 68040

I suppose at this point, you might as well wait for iOS 5 announcement next week.

As an owner of NAVIGON, I have to warn that it's far from perfect. Mainly, the app is very slow and UI is not so good. (It also had lots of stability issues, but the latest update seems to have fixed all the major stuff.) In any case, NAVIGON frequently offers a substantial discount, so I recommend waiting for those (use AppShopper for a price drop (their iOS app works well too).

25. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I'll never buy Navigon. I had one of their stand-alone GPS devices. After a few months they announced that they were strictly focusing on mobile apps, and would no longer support their hardware devices. No way to update the maps or get tech support.

I understand that business need dictated that they change direction, but it would have been good customer service to at least continue supporting their hardware for 6 months or so.