Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
I am planning to buy newly refreshed mid-2014 base 15" model with iGPU (Iris Pro). Since I'm not into gaming nor video/photo editing, I really don't need the dGPU. My plan is to use this computer for a good 4-5 years.

I will probably buy a 4k monitor when they become cheaper and want use it at 60Hz. However, I can't find any solid information or shared experience that says 15" rMBPs without dGPU can drive 4k @ 60 Hz.

I know rMBPs have HDMI 1.4 and it can drive 4k at only 30Hz, so it's not a question. But I read that Haswell H-class processors are capable of driving required amount of bandwidth for 4k through Displayport 1.2, but I'm not sure what happens in real life.

1. I'd be glad if anybody shares their experience about it?

2. It could be a rare user story but good to understand the limits: is it also possible to run two 4k monitors at 60Hz and also built-in monitor?

mtj111

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I haven't tried this myself, but I've seen posts confirming that it DOES work. The 15 inch IrisPro-only model will drive 4k60, but the 13 inch Iris will not.

matrik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
I haven't tried this myself, but I've seen posts confirming that it DOES work. The 15 inch IrisPro-only model will drive 4k60, but the 13 inch Iris will not.

Thanks, yeah. I also saw a few but there are also few people who said it did not work. And it looks like there was an driver update in 10.9.3 about this situation.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I believe it can, but only through the thunderbolt/display port. The HDMI caps out at 30hz right now.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
through the thunderbolt port, using a display port 1.2 with MST cable going to a display that has display port 1.2 with MST, yes, you can get 4k at 60hz.

there is a new samsung 4k monitor that supports it. its 650 bucks, forgot the model number though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.