Does IS, Bodgrdz or Ghost Amor "applicator" cause "water damage?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brock2621, Jul 19, 2008.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

If you spray your phone with these film applicators can that moister turn the water indicator on the inside of the phone to red and cause Apple to think you dropped your phone into a toilet or something?

Where does the water seep that's under the plastic?

I've just heard stories of ppl in highly humid environments have their phones show water damage when they try to get something fixed on them.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Not at all. You are barely spraying water on the phone. Just enough to moisten the adhesive for the skin to stick. And when u squeegie it out, u do so away frmo any holes or whatnot. The water damage sticker is inside the headphone jack. Impossible to get water in there unless u do submerge ur phone.

3. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Cool... works for me! (note to self: squeegee water AWAY from headphone jack...)

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I wonder what happens if a drop of rain gets in there...

5. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

The indicator turns pinkish-red and as far as Apple is concerned its liquid damage till they can take it apart to check other indicators/factors.

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68020

x-evil-x

i just tried applying the bodyguard and now after a few hours my phone turns off on itself and now the back button doesnt work.. i can make calls and be fine on one screen but it wont go back at alll.... what should i do?

7. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Play the waiting game? My iphone had water damage and the screen was click things on its own, you just gotta wait and see what happens...... its too late to put it in rice since its already on.

8. midas888 macrumors newbie

I just applied my front screen IS yesterday, using the wetter that came with the kit. Unfortunately it seems I put on too much. I think when I squeegeed it, some water got into the seams between the screen and body.

It started turning off and on, not rapidly, but constantly (I've read this has happened to others who actually got more water, ie dropped in toilet). I tried forcing it off, holding the sleep+home button, but it kept turning itself back on. Finally over maybe 10 minutes, it went off. The touchscreen would work sporadically.

I stuck it in a ziplock bag of rice overnight, and although it doesn't power cycle anymore, the touchscreen does not work at all. Right now I stuck it back into the bag of rice, and left it in a semi-shaded area outside. Hopefully the warmth drives more water away, and the rice sucks it away. If this doesn't work, I'm shoving it in a huge bag with the desiccant packs for a week.

Bottom line, I'm so pissed that putting on a $12 thing of Invisible Shield might have messed up my iPhone.

Anyone else have this experience with the IS application? Any general tips for dealing with the water damage? Should I stop turning it on to check if the screen is working again?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it doesn't cause water damage as long as you have a towel handy to soak the spray when you're squeegeeing.

10. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

You are supposed to leave your phone off for over 12 hours after applying any skin.

11. philgilder macrumors 68000

also, you dont spray the phone, you spray the skin

12. midas888 macrumors newbie

Yeah I didn't do this part.. wish I did haha.