Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Question already answered but do you think that the US could join the entire rest of the world (excl N Korea and Liberia) and use Celcius oneday? :p
It really would make sense and the switch wouldn't take that long to get used to. I promise..

hamish5178

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
Newark, DE
They just need to start teaching people Celsius like they teach cursive. Then start teaching it exclusively to the next generation.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
They just need to start teaching people Celsius like they teach cursive. Then start teaching it exclusively to the next generation.

Teach it in grade school and insist that you will need it for the rest of your life then have everyone forget it by middle school?

I don't know a single person in my age bracket that writes in cursive.

farkasam

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
New York
I'm 31 and learned cursive in elementary school. I can assure you that noone except for some girls uses the script, there's nothing redeeming about it. it's budget shorthand.

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

In the UK there was a switch made on everyone around the end of the 80's where they started introducing celcius. My grandma had some trouble with it but other than that everyone adapted pretty quickly. The US should just get on and go metric finally. Even the UK which invented the system has mostly changed over. (With some remaining exceptions yet to have changed).

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
They still teach cursive? :eek:

I was taught cursive in elementary school (about grades 2-5) and was told no matter how much you dislike it, you'll be using it for the rest of your life. Then we got to high school and nobody used it :mad: They lied to us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.