Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
on the heels of the isuppli breakdown of costs for the ipod shuffle (which my initial reaction is - this isn't going to be a positive reaction to apple), I wondered if they will (or ever have) do a breakdown of costs for the new Mac Pros. As much as they seem expensive, I wonder how large (or small) the margins are on it, based on the prices for the new HP & Dell machines with similar internals.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
on the heels of the isuppli breakdown of costs for the ipod shuffle (which my initial reaction is - this isn't going to be a positive reaction to apple), I wondered if they will (or ever have) do a breakdown of costs for the new Mac Pros. As much as they seem expensive, I wonder how large (or small) the margins are on it, based on the prices for the new HP & Dell machines with similar internals.

I don't think so. There are breakdowns on here though and in the news sub forum discussions. The margins are substantial, around 50% on the hardware I would think.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
but like the front page says, costs like R&D, marketing, distribution not to mention the huge workforce apple have aren't included in their breakdowns so the price "markup" is far from accurate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.