Does it always take this long to replace iPhone screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tzirasi, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Tzirasi macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPhone 6 plus several days ago. My screen shattered but everything worked fine.

I'm currently traveling in Hongkong so I made some chat with apple and confirmed that I can get it fixed in Hongkong. Got my appointment for today morning and went to the store. After some guy checking my phone he tells me that they need at least extra 48 hours to fix it and I have to leave my phone there. I've never been to any geniusbar in US but is it normal to take another whole 2 days to fix it? Plus I am traveling. What am I supposed to do without my phone?

Next thing I did was asking him if I can get a refurbished phone for extra money. I was more than happy to spend that money if they had stock, but it turns out they didn't.

I am very disappointed to Apple service:(

2. Hoppesangen macrumors member

Well it's only if they have a lot of phones in queue to be repaired that it would take that long for the phone to be serviced and it's not the store's fault that they didn't have that specific model available to replace for you that day, just some bad luck. Hong Kong is a very crowded city with not very many Apple Stores so I'm guessing they have at least over 100 phones with pending screen replacements and yours would be put in the back of the line and that's why it would take that long, especially if they don't have many calibration machines in store to make sure the replaced displays work properly.

Although I absolutely agree with you that if the service is taking that long especially on an iPhone though I don't see why they can't get you a loaner phone like they do for the Sleep Wake button program. Then again there can be different laws in the country to prohibit such programs to exist.

From my experience in the US store I've had my display replaced in as little in 30 minutes, then again my phone was the only phone in the store that needed a display replacement so I'm sure it would have taken longer if there were a few more phones ahead of me. I wouldn't sweat it too much if you went to a legitimate Apple Store and not a "iRepair shop" they seem to know what they're doing for the most part lol and if you take it to any place other than the Apple Store it will void your warranty if any other issues happen in the future.

3. nox5, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

nox5 macrumors 6502

30 min in US apple store. They had other repairs too but more techs I guess and I had appointment made in advance for the repair.
    in your case they have to order part, that's why it is 48hrs.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If the store is equipped to replace screens, it is done "on the spot". I would say well under an hour. If the store has refurbs (and no screens) they are generally able to swap it out. Sounds like your store could do neither. I wouldn't say that is outside the realm of possibility in the states either.

Realistically a 48 hour turn around on a phone repair isn't bad though.

5. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I had a dead zone down the middle of my display, and it took about an hour for them to replace it. But from how the Genius explained it, it could have taken longer if the repair workers had a queue of repairs. I'm sure that no displays in stock would have made it take longer too.