Does it annoy you the way iTunes shuffle works??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jinsou, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jinsou macrumors regular

Jinsou

i have around 900 songs, which can be small compared to other people's library.. and i always use the shuffle feature to not listen to the same songs over and over, but thats exactly what happens... i have songs that i almost forgot i had since itunes never went over them, its like on a crazy loop... like i almost know which song is next.. i've tried erasing play count to see if it had something to do... i get the "songs that go great together" thing... does any of you have this same issue? or what have you done to go around this..

Jin

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Are you sure that it isn't set to repeat any songs? I haven't noticed this issue myself, but if you want to try something different you could always look at Genius which plays songs which are similar to the selected song.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm annoyed that when I shuffle videos in playlists, iTunes stops playing after one video even if I have repeat all selected. I like to shuffle TV shows like Family Guy when I go to sleep, and I have to do it through some other method like sorting by file size or episode title. Arrgh.

4. T10HJS macrumors member

I bought a 1Gb Red shuffle yesterday to take snowboarding with me i really like the idea of the shuffle feature, i really hope it works.

5. PoppyHart macrumors newbie

I absolutely know what you mean! Dont know how to fix it though :confused: At first i thought it shuffled through the songs that i put on there in the beginning, only playing the additional ones like once or twice!
    I took them all off and loaded them all back on at once (which isn't worth doing btw!), it doesn't play the same tunes as it did before but it now seems to have chosen a new set to do the same thing to!
    Does the same thing on my iPod. I think my Forward button is wearing away...

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I prefer to use a combination of playlists and Party Shuffle which I find a bit more random.

7. nutman macrumors regular

I think there is a setting that will play higher rated songs more often. Do you have ratings on your songs?

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Party shuffle is great, I use that instead of shuffle play in iTunes.

iPods have always been pretty lame when using shuffle for whatever reason. You hear the same artist multiple times and it always wants to stay within the same genre.

By the way, using an iPod Shuffle has been great for snowboarding. It's so light and withstands a lot of abuse. I use mine at the driving range as well.

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I just use Party Shuffle, too. Works well for me.

10. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Party Shuffle does the same thing for me. It got to be so irritating that I just cut it off entirely. There were many times where the same song would play 3 times in a 7 song span. Ridiculous!

11. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes, it's in Party Shuffle.

But there used to be a shuffle "randomness" playback setting in earlier versions of iTunes - for some reason it was removed.
    [​IMG]

12. Jinsou thread starter macrumors regular

Jinsou

I think I'll give party shuffle a shot to see how it works, thanks for your responses, like i'm always waiting for that next iTunes update that will include enhanced shuffle but maybe it's not priority...

13. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

Shuffle seems to work fine for me, but then I have a large library so maybe that adds to it? :/

14. james-thescalie macrumors member

kind of off topic this post but my sony erricson phone does this weird thing were if i have shuffle on it will be okay until Bloc Party get selected and from then on its just Bloc party..... cant wait for my contract to re-new i despise sony "lets just turn off" erricsons

15. bnut macrumors newbie

bnut

Not sure if this exactly helps, but in the past I've made a dynamic playlist with the 50 least often played songs in it. While not truly random doing something like this will over time play all of your songs, the disadvantage, some of my favourite songs have been played a few hundred times and so in this setup will not be played for a while.

16. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

My shuffle does that once in a while.

Most of the time, it does a good job of mixing things up. Occasionally, though, I'll find it playing a handful of songs excessively. My library is a little bit larger (about 20000 songs or so). Party shuffle is much better for me, though.

17. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

i use instinctive shuffle plugin for iTunes. its the same as the app that is available on Jailbroken iPhone or iPod touches. The mac version is a beta, and has been taken down but it works great.
    heres the site -->clicky

18. RHollister macrumors newbie

100% understand the OP issue. This was my reason for leaving iTunes behind. Never used iTunes to purchase songs so when I used to run windows I used winamp and now use Songbird.

Why do they not allow you to randomize a playlist and then just play it sequentially. Is that difficult to program?

19. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Create a new playlist and add songs to it. Select manual sorting, then click the Randomize button. Boom.

Yeah! Why they removed that, I dunno. But I haven't had any issues with iTunes' randomization really, sometimes it seems to play a few closely related songs in a row, but rarely. It does seem to have "favorites" that it will visit more often, and "forgotten" songs that are heard seldomly, but I don't think there's any conspiracy here.

20. PoppyHart macrumors newbie

I think they removed it because it didn't work!

21. PoppyHart macrumors newbie

I know its unrelated but this made me laugh! I had the same problem! It used to turn off it rang!? defeats the point of a phone slightly doesn't it.
    I've not got an upgrade, so i downgraded to my exceptionally old 'trusty' Ericsson, but now the buttons dont work. At least it stays alive when it rings i guess :confused:

I think all my technical equipment seems to want to fail me though, if anyone can help me with my safari problem that would be a bonus!
    (Sorry to steal away your advice Jin!:eek:)