Does it bug anyone else how Apple names their phones?

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I'm not saying the 4S, 5S, 6S etc are bad, since they basically are the same phone but upgraded, but

iPhone (1)

iPhone 3g/3gs

iPhone 4/4s

iPhone 5/5s

iPhone 6/6s

They completely skipped 2! The order is forever weird.

cambookpro

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
It was 3G due to 3G connectivity added, rather than 2. The iPhone 4 was the 4th one. Sure, the 5 wasn't technically the 5th one, but it's easy to see why it was called that.

I don't get what's so confusing - what about the iPad? That's much worse. Or them retrospectively renaming the iPhone 3GS and 4S the 3Gs and 4s. That's just silly.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
It was 3G due to 3G connectivity added, rather than 2. The iPhone 4 was the 4th one. Sure, the 5 wasn't technically the 5th one, but it's easy to see why it was called that.

I don't get what's so confusing - what about the iPad? That's much worse. Or them retrospectively renaming the iPhone 3GS and 4S the 3Gs and 4s. That's just silly.
Ok so let's say the 3G was #2, which it was, then the 3Gs would have just been the 2s right?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Does it bug anyone else how Apple names their phones?
Nope, couldn't care less what the phone is named.

I have this obviously sily notion that how it works, and meets my needs as a smartphone, is more important than the name...which, in my clearly twisted opinion, is totally meaningless.

But what do I know...:p

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
They could name it "The Phone" for all I care. It does what I require and as long as that happens, then I will continue to purchase and use it.

joeblow7777

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2010
I'm not saying the 4S, 5S, 6S etc are bad, since they basically are the same phone but upgraded, but

iPhone (1)

iPhone 3g/3gs

iPhone 4/4s

iPhone 5/5s

iPhone 6/6s

They completely skipped 2! The order is forever weird.

Like others have said, the second phone was called the 3G because it offered 3G connectivity. 3Gs was a faster update (s = speed). The iPhone 4 was the first one to actually be named based on its generation. After that, only each new design gets a subsequent number. It makes perfect sense.

Kaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
Nope, not at all. Although before the 4S was released I was convinced that Apple was going to drop the "S" cycle and just release something called the iPhone 5. Then when the 4S was released I realized that the "S" cycle was here to stay.

At the time I thought it made a lot more sense to name the 4S the 5, because the number on the phone would finally match the generation, but they elected to keep their tick-tock upgrade cycle.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Nope, not at all. Although before the 4S was released I was convinced that Apple was going to drop the "S" cycle and just release something called the iPhone 5. Then when the 4S was released I realized that the "S" cycle was here to stay.

At the time I thought it made a lot more sense to name the 4S the 5, because the number on the phone would finally match the generation, but they elected to keep their tick-tock upgrade cycle.
I agree, that's what I was thinking too for sure. They messed up there.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Doesn't bug me really but when I say it like was pointed out in the second post I think its kind of dumb.

If you forget the weirdness around the 4 thru 5 it makes sense again. 6, 6S, 7, 7S etc.

But with the rumors of two screen sizes coming out who knows what they will do. I feel Samsungs makes the most sense, S, S2, S2 Skyrocket, S3, S4, very easy to understand.

HTC's One series bugs me especially when looking for accessories. If its not labeled with a year or M# you don't even know if it will work (case for example). Apple had this going on with the iPhone 4 and the CDMA vs GSM versions.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I hate how they call the iphone like the way you would call a person.

They always refer to it as "iphone" instead of "the iphone". I find it pretty annoying.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Even if they called it 2 and 2S the order would've been messed up anyway because the 2S would be the 3rd iPhone and so on.

They'll call it whatever makes sense to the general public, not a bunch of members here who know which # iPhone a particular iteration is.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Successfully pick out your spouse using the same criteria?
Good one! Name was not an issue. But that was as far as it went. Yes it has continued to cost me, but has not always been useful. Please do not let her know that or I will have to learn how to start sleeping with one eye open.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
i wish they'd just name their products like car companies do..

iPhone 1 2012

iPhone 1 2013

iPhone 2 2013

ect

----------

iPods are worse..

they're just called iPod

well the different models have different names but.. which one of the ipod nano do you have ?

they have no other name