Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
i have AT&T unlimited data (grandfathered) and unlimited text.

My wife will be overseas. She has sprint and they cover texts with no extra charge.

Does anyone know if I will be charged for receiving texts from another country? What about iMessage?

Thanks!

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
It doesn't cost anything and if your wife talks to Sprint Worldwide she could possibly get full coverage in that country. I have Sprint and for $5 extra a month I get to use my phone as if it were in the states, unlimited calling, text and data, plus it doesn't cost for Japanese people to call me or for me to call them.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Don't know about Sprint, but on Verizon international texts cost extra per text. If you're not sure about your carrier, I'd suggest getting WhatsApp and use text on wifi and/or data if possible. Would cost you nothing. I spoke to both my daughters in Spain for an entire year just using WhatsApp.

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
It's completely dependent on both your carrier what plan you have. Check with your carrier to see what is available.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
i have AT&T unlimited data (grandfathered) and unlimited text.

My wife will be overseas. She has sprint and they cover texts with no extra charge.

Does anyone know if I will be charged for receiving texts from another country? What about iMessage?

Thanks!
iMessage is always free as long as both of you have a data plan or on WiFi. Local data charges may apply to your wife.

Receiving texts from overseas is free, I receive texts from Canada and Asian countries and have the same plan setup with you from AT&T. Once you reply though, I believe it's 0.25/txt

You can call 611 to confirm as well since I only have a Nation 300 plan and yours might differ.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
He should be calling the carrier and asking them, not relying on what's being said here.

Last edited:

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I've got family in Europe. I can say that I have never been charged for iMessage.
That said, the OP should contact his carrier.

Jay43

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
As stated before receiving texts from an international number is free on At&t if you're receiving them in the US although it might be different on some older plans.

OP, if I understand correctly your wife will be overseas but using her usual American phone number. In that case you will be able to answer her the same you would if she was in the US.

If she is in a country covered by Sprint's Global roaming she will also be able to text you and received your texts free of charge (Sprint may apply some kind of fair use policy)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.