Does it exist? Glossy *-IPS display with antireflection coating

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Weepul, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Weepul macrumors regular

The thread title pretty much says it all, but let me go into more specifics about what I'm looking for and why... :p (As a note, I'm asking here rather than in the Peripherals forum since I suspect you guys would be more familiar with high-end displays.)

I've always used CRTs. I'm an artist and, a little bit, a gamer: I primarily do photography and 3D rendering and animation, as well as other graphical work. LCD screens have only really seemed like an option recently. They've finally overcome the shallow viewing angles and color/tonal shifts with even such a slight change in viewing angle as from the top to bottom of a display. I find myself looking at ACDs and the new 24" iMac and the old 20" iMac and thinking, "hey, that's not bad..." It seems the most beautiful screen type to have, and the kind in all the displays that have nearly passed muster, is S-IPS (or is it H-IPS?).

I like to see pixel-level detail clearly. As I find higher screen resolutions necessary (and only as of a year ago did I bump it up to 1280x960) I'm starting to notice, and feel dissatisfied with, a certain lack of sharpness (especially horizontally), as well as the CRT blooming effect, and of course the amount of desk space taken up by a big, heavy, boxy CRT. Hence, why I'm starting to think about getting an LCD display.

Even with the latest *-IPS displays, I still have some problems. I've always disliked matte screens. The contrast- and saturation-destroying haze of blurred reflection that's cast over the image is awful. I'm also bothered by the way the very fine texture of the surface interferes with grid of pixels, casting a sparkly grain-like noise over the whole screen. I'm pretty sensitive to detail, and especially as a photographer, I know the value of seeing the true image without added noise.

The first time I saw a glossy LCD screen (on a 17" Toshiba laptop) it was a revelation, an epiphany - I stopped and thought to myself, "this is what has been missing all this time!" No haze, no grainy noise texture, deep rich blacks...it was amazing! It was also in a fairly dark room. :rolleyes: Glossy LCD screens are just so reflective. I'm not even sure if a matte screen is actually any less reflective than a glossy screen, just that it blurs it into a less-distinct (but also less-avoidable) haze.

My CRT has a "glossy", flat surface too, but it's much, much less reflective - the very low intensity of its reflections, plus the slight blue tint to surface reflections, is a telltale sign that it was manufactured with a thin-film antireflection coating. The reflections are sharp, like a glossy LCD, but just so much dimmer - even with the display off, I can't make out my face as illuminated by area lighting. I found myself wondering why the heck LCD screen manufacturers don't AR-coat glossy screens. It'd be the best of ALL worlds: clear image, no grain, no haze, dim reflections.

Well, they do: upon seeing a Sony 11.1" TZ150 notebook, I noticed the dim and distinctly purple-tinted reflections on its glossy LCD screen. Eureka - a glossy LCD screen that has AR-coating! The coating isn't as good as on my CRT - it's a lot more colorfully tinted and not as well dimmed (I wish I could put them side-by-side, along with a regular glossy screen, to take a comparison photo), but it gave me hope that LCD screens could be made this way.

So, in short, I can't accept any screen unless it's S- or H-IPS (or better, in terms of sharpness/clarity of detail, contrast, color, stability of the former three qualities over a wide viewing angle, and clarity/responsiveness of video/motion). I don't want to accept a matte screen, and I can't accept an untreated glossy screen. So, I pose my hopes and dreams to you, o hopefully knowledgeable forumites: is there an LCD screen for me? Does there exist a high-quality *-IPS display (or better), preferably 24", with glossy CRT-like antireflection-coated surface?

2. timestamp macrumors 6502

NEC LCD2490wuxi

I am pretty sure it is glossy, but I am not sure it has an anti-reflective coating. It is IPS and has a 12-bit LUT however. Very nice displays.

3. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the recommendation, I guess, but the bit about having an AR coating is the juicy question... ;)

If it turns out there just aren't any standalone LCDs that are AR coated, I'd also be interested to learn why not, if anybody knows. I mean, even a middle-of-the-road CRT like the Dell P991 I'm using (that we just had lying around...it's a flat-faced Trinitron, and not too shabby) has AR coating...

4. exspes macrumors member

I don't know of any S-IPS, but I hear marketing talk about anti-reflective coatings on the glossy monitors all the time. However, marketing talk for the consumer is bull half the time.

If you're a fairly serious photographer/graphics artist, would an option be to simply create a dark room in which to use a regular glossy s-ips?

5. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

Any particular brands you've heard talking?

Your idea has a certain elegant simplicity to it, but alas, for purposes of eye strain and looking at notes and reference I have on hand, I prefer normal illumination levels...and perhaps even more importantly, I don't have that sort of control over my working environment right now. :eek:

6. newtech macrumors 6502

By definition "glossy" and "anti-reflective" are mutually exclusive. Like wanting matte glossy prints, it just can't be done.

Optically an anti-reflective medium to external sources is partially opaque to internal sources as well.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Glossy means that it doesn't have antireflection coatings on it, also I'm sure since you do graphics work that you already know that glossy LCDs over-saturate the colors.

8. newtech macrumors 6502

Not over saturation, differing gamma leading to perceived error from exaggerated contrast.

9. Weepul thread starter macrumors regular

Tell that to camera lens manufacturers. There's a big difference between the textured "anti-glare" diffusion surface put on matte LCDs and a true antireflection coating. This is why I wish I could take a comparison photo: there's no way the face of my CRT could be described as anything other than smooth or "glossy", yet it reflects much more weakly than typical glossy LCDs.

Hardly. Believe it or not, as the physics of it describes, an antireflection coating actually increases the transmitted light at a refractive surface.

Glossy means it does not have the textured "anti-glare" surface treatment, called "matte". As above, that's not the same as antireflection coating. With regards to saturation, it seems like a simple calibration should counter that, whereas no calibration could counter the reduced contrast due to a matte surface.

And so, my quest for an AR-coated LCD continues...

10. Pam2611 macrumors newbie

H-IPS is for now used only in new alu iMac's 24", Nec 2690 (and it's copies - lacie 526, and a japan-only mitsubishi monitor). H-IPS came on market late 06- early 07 and is superior to the S-IPS. If you want a IPS panel Nec 2690 is your (and mine) monitor.