Does it help to add more RAM than I use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesmallelder, Mar 10, 2009.

1. thesmallelder macrumors newbie

On my MBP, I typically use about 1.5GB of RAM, so there is almost always 500mb or more free. Will adding additional RAM (2GB more) make a difference in this case if I never use all of my current 2GB?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can never have "too much" RAM. If you have the money, I would definitely max out my MacBook Pro.

3. xoggyux macrumors 6502

having a bigger glass with the same amount of water that an small glass can hold does not mean that it will calm your thirst better.
    Anyway seeing 4GB instead of 2GB have a profound psychological effect, so go ahead.

4. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Despite what others may say, more ram does help. Of course, it depends on the situation, but I would def suggest adding the RAM. It's helped me in the past on systems that I don't necessarily "need" it.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Best quote I've seen. Many if not most think maxing the RAM will help and yet not even using 2GB in reality. But it sure does help psychologically so go ahead.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

If its more than you use, then no. It will not help. It won't hurt, but if you aren't even going to use it, then it won't help. Why buy a 500GB HD when you only need 250GB?

7. belvdr macrumors 603

This is great. If the OP has the money, iLog.Genuis is going to max out his machine. :D

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Perhaps average usage is not the best way to judge if you need more RAM. I prefer to ask what your page in to page out ratio is. If you never page out, then you don't need more RAM.