Does it hurt my mbp to keep it plug in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blockburner28, Jun 28, 2009.

1. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

Since I got it I have been letting it charge til it shows green then using it off the plug until it drains fully then I let it charge and repeat the same process. Is that okay or is it okay for me to keep it plugged 100% of the time while i'm at home and does that drain the battery charge overtime?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would suggest leaving it plugged in and drain it once a month

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28

Thanks man

4. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Keeping your MPB plugged in does it no harm - once the battery is charged the software will show the battery as (charged) and just use the power supply to power your laptop - from time to time it will check on the battery and possibly charge it up to full capacity.

Apple reccommends fully discharging, then switching off your machine and charging up (can be done overnight) once a month to keep your battery in good working order. Otherwise the all apple batteries are designed to be used as needed.

:rolleyes::apple:

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

after reading all these threads about correct battery practice, i asked the genius what i should do and what is "correct". She said as long as you drain it (calibrate it) once a month at the least, it will be fine. My battery health was at 88% after 110 cycles, but i started draining it a bit more and then calibrating it, and it went back up to 90%. I still think i will be getting a replacement when it gets to 300 cycles, as it will be below 80%.

6. blockburner28 thread starter macrumors 6502

blockburner28