Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radesousa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I have Works 08 installed in my iMac (April 08 version) and I just purchased Works 09. I plan to purchase a Mac laptop in the near future and want to use Works 08 on it. So I want to pick the experts' brains on how to proceed when installing Works 09. A Genius Bar person suggested installing Works 09 then drag the Works 08 folder to the trash. Is that better than dragging Works 08 to the trash then installing Works 09 or does it make a difference? TIA.

FWIW, it doesn't matter. I decided to trash my iWork 08 first then install iWork 09 which was contrary to what the Genius Bar guy suggested.

radesousa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I have Works 08 installed in my iMac (April 08 version) and I just purchased Works 09. I plan to purchase a Mac laptop in the near future and want to use Works 08 on it. So I want to pick the experts' brains on how to proceed when installing Works 09. A Genius Bar person suggested installing Works 09 then drag the Works 08 folder to the trash. Is that better than dragging Works 08 to the trash then installing Works 09 or does it make a difference? TIA.

FWIW, it doesn't matter. I decided to trash my iWork 08 first then install iWork 09 which was contrary to what the Genius Bar guy suggested.

Now I'm ready to purchase a Mac laptop.... probably a MacBook Pro... :)

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I think you're asking about iWork (note the "i" & no "s"). There is no reason you can't have both iWork '08 & '09 installed. I have both of them as well as iWork '06. I can even run all three at the same time. When you trash iWork '08 doesn't matter. It is a completely separate installation from '09.

There are various reasons to have both '08 & '09.

The iWork '09 apps can't save as iWork '06 or '05. The only previous version they can save as is '08. To save as '05 or '06 you need to save as '08, open the document in the '08 version & then save as again.

Keynote '09 can no longer export to flash.

radesousa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I think you're asking about iWork (note the "i" & no "s"). There is no reason you can't have both iWork '08 & '09 installed. I have both of them as well as iWork '06. I can even run all three at the same time. When you trash iWork '08 doesn't matter. It is a completely separate installation from '09.

There are various reasons to have both '08 & '09.

The iWork '09 apps can't save as iWork '06 or '05. The only previous version they can save as is '08. To save as '05 or '06 you need to save as '08, open the document in the '08 version & then save as again.

Keynote '09 can no longer export to flash.

Hi Peggy D: Yes, you're correct, there is no "s" after iWork. But now I seem to have encountered another problem. If I save an iWork 08 Numbers document to iWork 09 I can't open it in iWork 08. I get a message which says "This document is invalid. The index.xml file is missing." Is iWork 09 backward compatible with iWork 08? Do you have any idea what is happening? TIA

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
That XML file missing error comes up frequently in Apple's Discussions. One user there has offered to recover missing text for a few users. Someone in just the last couple of days said repairing permissions fixed his problem. It wouldn't hurt but doesn't seem likely that it would work.

But I'm not exactly sure what you did before you got to this point. You can't open a file saved by an iWork '09 app in any previous version unless you did Save As… '08. Then it could be opened by '08 or '09. Trying to do so may be the cause of the error although usually you'll get an error that says you need a newer version. Have you tried opening the document in Pages 4/iWork '09 & re-saving it as '08 & opening the '08 version in Pages 3?

Pages 4 & Numbers 2 by default save new documents as flat files rather than packages & Pages 3/Numbers 1 probably wouldn't "know" what the file is. They could be very confused by a file whose extension & creator they know but not the file type.

radesousa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
That XML file missing error comes up frequently in Apple's Discussions. One user there has offered to recover missing text for a few users. Someone in just the last couple of days said repairing permissions fixed his problem. It wouldn't hurt but doesn't seem likely that it would work.

But I'm not exactly sure what you did before you got to this point. You can't open a file saved by an iWork '09 app in any previous version unless you did Save As… '08. Then it could be opened by '08 or '09. Trying to do so may be the cause of the error although usually you'll get an error that says you need a newer version. Have you tried opening the document in Pages 4/iWork '09 & re-saving it as '08 & opening the '08 version in Pages 3?

Pages 4 & Numbers 2 by default save new documents as flat files rather than packages & Pages 3/Numbers 1 probably wouldn't "know" what the file is. They could be very confused by a file whose extension & creator they know but not the file type.

After deleting iWork 08 on my iMac and installing iWork 09 I reinstalled iWork 08 to see if there was any incompatibility problems. I didn't do anything different when saving a numbers file. So I'm mystified why iWork 08 can't read an iWork 09 numbers file. I searched around to find how to save iWork 09 Numbers as an iWork 08 Numbers file but I couldn't find how to do this.

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
After deleting iWork 08 on my iMac and installing iWork 09 I reinstalled iWork 08 to see if there was any incompatibility problems. I didn't do anything different when saving a numbers file. So I'm mystified why iWork 08 can't read an iWork 09 numbers file. I searched around to find how to save iWork 09 Numbers as an iWork 08 Numbers file but I couldn't find how to do this.

iWork/Pages '08 cannot open/read an iWork '09 file. You must save it as '08 from the '09 application first.

Attachments

• save1.png
    save1.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 56
  • save2.png
    save2.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 67
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.