Does it make sense to buy a 12.9" this Christmas?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Nov 15, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all,
    So I'm thinking about upgrading my Air 2 to a Pro this Christmas and I'm wondering, does it make sense to get one now that an upgrade could be near? I'm not that interested in the features the 9.7 has over the 12.9, like the camera and TrueTone display, so is there much else the new 12.9 will get that would be worth waiting for? I mainly am interested in the larger display and more storage, otherwise everything on my Air 2 is perfectly fine. Also am interested in using textbooks for my online college classes which I'm starting in January, im thinking the larger screen would be better than my 9.7 Air 2.
    So would this upgrade make sense now? Or should I wait for the newer (maybe edge to edge) one?
    Thanks,
    JerTheGeek

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

If everything with your Air2 is fine and you can stand the wait until March/April time then I would wait. It might future proof you for another year down the road. Otherwise buy one now and enjoy it.

3. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

I'm getting one for Christmas. I was in the same boat as you. Should I or shouldn't I, but there's always something newer around the corner. I don't know how much of an update will be done to them so I don't think we need to worry about being future proof. I'm going back to school myself so I will use the Pro to do some schoolwork. JMO.

4. cibonak macrumors regular

cibonak

oled ipads not before 2018 therefore you should buy one on Christmas.
    minor updates next match (3d, 2nd gener id touch, a10x, lighter...)

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

That is true, I imagine the big overhaul in design on the iPads will come after the iPhone 8 or anniversary edition

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I'd recommend anyone with an iPad Air 2 wait until at least the next iPad is announced. The iPad Pro isn't a massive upgrade over the iPad Air 2, so it's not going to feel like a significant upgrade. If you haven't upgraded by now, you might as well wait a little longer.

Though to anyone with any previous iPad, I'd say go for it.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

What about the screen size upgrade from the 9.7 to the 12.9? If that's the main reason for upgrading, would it make sense now?

8. Jessica08 macrumors regular

Jessica08

My current iPad has the following model number on the box: MD788LL/A. Is this a first or second generation air? When I type in that model number in Google, I get conflicting answers. I didn't have time this morning to take my ipad out of my case to get the number off the back of it.

9. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

If the pro 12.9" is discounted $100-$150 between now and 1/1/17...you might want to jump in. The expected TT and camera upgrades to the 12.9" with the next refresh are not a big deal IMO. Ymmv.

If you have the Air2 now, you should be able to use that till March to see what develops.

10. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Couple things if I can remember them all before I am done typing this:

I traded in my MacBook air for a 9.7 ipp with smart keyboard and haven't looked back. period. I do have an iMac which helps (only because of screen size, most I can truthfully do on my ipp), but the ipp is an amazing piece of kit. I was skeptical at first, having owned the original iPad mini and it gathering dust, but no regrets now. You would be amazed how much screen space you get when you have a smart keyboard causing the keyboard to not show on the half of the screen. I am thinking of giving my ipp to my son whom is seriously interested in coding (swift playground) for xmas and if there is a new model then I will buy it for myself. Of course if I don't get a new model for xmas he is getting an air 2 ($350 now at walmart but waiting for cyber Monday) with my old apple keyboard connected via BT.

The only reason that I don't get the larger ipp is that it would make it harder to use in bed, corner of a desk and so forth. It is basically the size of a small laptop with the keyboard open.

11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

The biggest reason I am considering the larger size is for textbooks. I'm taking online classes soon and plan to use e-textbooks, and I think that the larger size of the 12.9" Pro would be really nice for this, also for if I needed to take notes or use it like a piece of paper with the pencil or something. And of course watching NHL games, YouTube, and TV on it would be amazing. Just not sure if the larger form factor would get in the way...

12. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Every time I see the 12.9 at the store I am so glad I got the 9.7. It is just so much more mobile and better for my needs. I am currently taking masters courses online and while sometimes I think a little more space would be nice, I have never been unable to do something because of it or lack there of.

13. PrettyWings macrumors member

I just made a thread about the 12.9 around a week ago. Bought mine. I absolutely love this thing. I'm in school too. Actually used to use an iPad 2 and stylus for school. That worked beautifully. This is going to give me that experience I had with the iPad 2, but I will be able to do even more. Blown away by the Apple Pencil. Split-screen is so much better than I thought it would be.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Yes, the 12.9 is a significant impact in upgrading. Especially if you plan on using split-window. It is not a commonly known fact but iOS treats apps differently in split-window depending upon the device. On the 12.9 in split-window, each window is presented with the "full" app interface. On the 9.7 form-factor, the "phone" version of the interface is presented.

But keep in mind that the 12.9 is a behemoth. That can't be overstated. It is a beast (size-wise). It is nearly as large as the windshield on my wife's Mini Cooper. :eek:

for budgeting purposes, you might want to give serious consideration as to whether or not you'll need a keyboard. If so, the Apple Smart Keyboard cover is really ideal. I use that (and swap it with the smart cover on occasion) with only a clear film on the back to prevent scratches and improve grip.

Since it is still the only iOS device with 4GB RAM, it will still have a long lifespan even though it was released a year ago.

This. If there is a $100+ discounted sale during the holidays, I'd recommend getting it then.

15. Math889 macrumors 65816

I would wait until march . If u want to buy now , buy it .However, the newer one is coming soon .I want an 12.9 Pro . I can wait 4 months holding my 9.7 Air 2 . I am waiting for Pro 2 .

16. pr0230 Suspended

+1

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Also remember if you do consider pulling the trigger, look at refurbished. I got one recently for $750 and have been loving it. At that price it was a lot easier to consider.

18. bensisko macrumors 65816

Buy what you need/want when you need/want it. You can spend your entire life worrying about the next upgrade.

The only question is this: Does the 12.9" iPad Pro meet your needs and wants right now?

If yes, then go for it. If not, then wait. It sounds like the 12.9" iPP suits you as it stands.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    HA! "Future Proof" - that's hilarious! What on earth do you think they're going to add to the 12.9" iPad Pro that's going to "future proof" it any more than it already is?

19. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

It sounds like for your needs the screen size would be absolutely beneficial. I use my iPP 12.9 almost solely for school and it is a dream. There is nothing quite like it available on the market when paired w/ the Apple Pencil. GoodNotes is my go to writing app, and always viewing text and documents with LiquidText or PDF Expert.
    Hopefully you can upgrade sooner, rather than later, to get the full impact of using the Pro in a school environment. Also, as far as regretting the size, only had regret few times like when I'm trying to read in bed, or there isn't enough room on the full desk etc. Otherwise, I am really glad that I don't have to deal w/ the scaled down interface of the iPad apps in split screen and things like that.

Likely will not be upgrading my IPP 12.9 in the next cycle, will wait until 2018 at least for a bigger jump in hardware and feature sets bar a significant upgrade to apple pencil input in this spring's model.

20. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

Earlier this year I moved to the 12.9 iPad Pro from the 9.7 iPad Air. This was an upgrade based on needing more GB also I wanted to try the larger screen. The change in size worked well for my needs. I like the larger screen and yet the device is still quite portable.

21. Precursor macrumors 6502

Precursor