does it make sense to stripe (RAID0) with separate backup (but not 0+1)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rawdawg, Oct 21, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I need a storage solution that needs speed and reliability. Even my internal HDD has a hard time keeping up with video files I produce.

I have a 17" MBP and have started other threads in my search, but as I learn more questions develop. I've decided on eSATA and to get a eSATA express card (for greatest speed). But I don't have money for a fancy setup. RAID 5 looks like it would be ideal since I get the most storage for the price of the drives (i.e. 3x 1TB drives would give me 2TB whereas I would need 4 with RAID 0+1). But I haven't found a way to get RAID 5 with a MBP (or with any Mac for that matter, for some reason I can't find any info on how to even do RAID 5 or if it is or isn't possible with a MBP) or if this RAID setup is even affordable to me.

The other affordable option for me that I've thought about is getting a dual eSata enclosure or dock (with 2x eSata ports) and set up 2 drives RAID 0. Then with another 'cheap' setup (USB2.0 even) I could schedule backups for the RAID 0 setup. That way the cheaper backup drive won't slow down the RAID system and I won't need a larger 0+1 setup.

I know the cost of the drives are a given. It's the enclosures I feel I can do more affordable. A drive like this (or this if I was hotswappable craziness) I could stripe then just find the cheapest solution for the backup. Ideally I would like to not have to rewrite the entire backup every occurrence but only rewrite what has changed. Do you have recommendations as to software to do this?

If this idea is garbage and no one has a suggestion for RAID 5 I think I'm just going to have to toss the stripping idea and just mirror.

2. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Hope that title makes sense.... Does this make sense what in trying to do? I just feel an actual 4 drive minimum 0+1 setup isn't necessary if I only need daily backups

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

I moved my thread to here. I think asking about the software part of it is more appropriate.

4. pprior macrumors 65816

What is your budget?

How much space do you need?

What level of throughput do you need?

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love to so the whole thing for under $500.... Anymore than that and I may as well buy a new mac mini with dual hdd to set up as RAID and network it to my MBP to benefit from mutiprocessing with qmaster not mention having a whole additional computer

I just don't believe these fancy pricey external enclosures are worth it especially when so many docks and OWC enclosures are cheap. At least for a small job like mine.

I would like 2tb but I'll take as much as I can get so much as it stays affordable.

As for throughput, my need is for at least keeping up with HD video ProRes422. No server needs in addition to this playback, I don't need to use more than one program at a time.