Does it make sense waiting for a Time Capsule refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KeyMs92, Jan 27, 2016.

1. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

I'm considering replacing my router (Asus RT-AC68U) with a Time Capsule, but I noticed that the current model is already 2,5+ years old. Looking at the Time Capsule refreshes of the past, it would seem that the next one is upon us in 2016. Do you think a refresh, or even a redesign, will happen this year? Would it make sense waiting a few months instead of buying it now? Would there be any possible features worth waiting for? I'd love to hear your advice.

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I wouldn't look for a refresh anytime soon--nothing new to add really so you should be fine buying current version.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Probably won't see anything new until they can add 802.11ad, and that won't happen anytime soon. Definitely not in '16.

4. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I would agree with the above two posters.

Do you know about Apple's online refurbished store? Save about $120 on a TC there. Just like new, same warranty, etc. Definitely get it there.

I picked up a 2TB model a few months ago, opened it up and replaced the drive with a 5TB drive. It's been great.

5. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Buy it now. I don't see it getting any updates anytime soon.

6. KeyMs92 thread starter macrumors regular

I live in the Netherlands, and unfortunately the number of refurbished items in the Dutch online store is pretty much zero. Elsewhere, I can only find a few used products on offer. I guess the TC must be pretty darn good.

In any case, thanks for your help. Since you're all unanimous about not expecting any updates soon, I'll most certainly be purchasing a TC in the coming weeks. It's now just a matter of buying one new from a store or waiting for a great used offer.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Not to throw you too much off course here, but you might consider an alternative: AirPort Extreme with stand-alone external USB hard drive. Same functionality but cheaper and more flexible (though a bit less elegant).

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

If you place a wireless router by a wall the consider making a diy parabolic using aluminum foil, glue and a wok or bent cardboard. Make the cardboard in the parabolic shape, then some sheets of foil and glue the foil onto the shaped cardboard. Then once trimming the overhand foil is best to do. Then place that parabolic shape and but it between the router and the wall. Move it back and forth to the attennas to get the maximum good signal.

This video will show you the benefits of doing this.

9. KeyMs92 thread starter macrumors regular

I've thought long and hard about it, convincing myself not to buy it, but in the end I could see no better solution for me than the 3TB Time Capsule. It's expensive, but so far I haven't regretted my decision. :)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with my AEB, its a nice router, true there's others out there but overall I'm content with the airport. Enjoy your new router :)

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I would not purchase any TC. I would only go with Extreme units and hook up library and backup drives to it. Drives are much more likely to fail than the Extreme unit. With external drives you can swap and expand the drives as you wish.

12. KeyMs92 thread starter macrumors regular

It's indeed a risk that the hard drive can fail, but in the same way the hard drive inside my iMac can fail. So I just trust that Apple has made it as reliable as they possibly can. But yes, the best reason to buy the TC is probably the mere fact that it has the hard drive built in instead of external.

As an aside, I must say that it feels pretty magical (sorry!) to forget about backing up and discovering that it has been backing up your data automatically over your network. I've done manual backups all my life so it's an odd feeling.

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Agree, the only change i could see coming anytime soon is around "capacity".

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Consider try AirPort Extreme without the HDD.

I went through the same decisions recently.

My concern about the TC, seagate drives, and once out of warranty it's not the easiest job to open up a TC and replace the drive. Though I'm even cool with that, it's having my backups on seagate drives, I'm no happy with.

If you just get the AirPort Extreme, you can plug any reputable drive into the USB.

Ideally I would recommend a NAS for backups, and a drive to backup the NAS.

The airport is a very nice bit of kit, the drive.....mhhh. Now a time capsule with a reliable drive, thumbs up!

15. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I only use TC for OS backups, all my data is stored on NAS - i agree with the previous poster NAS is a better way to go.

16. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Lol. Because any man that isn't single living in their shed will want (or be permitted by their partner) this ugly monstrosity in their house.

17. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm very happy with my TC and am considering a refurbished unit when the time comes to replace my current TC. Which BTW is a 2008 gen 1 that has been flawless since I installed it 8 years ago.

19. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First World Problem! Form over function!

20. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Just be aware that is you get a TC, and wish to update the HDD down the line, the rubber plastic holding the HDD is made for seagate drives . You will need to cut away some some of it to fit a non seagate .