Does it matter how you record your face?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gr4z, Nov 5, 2017.

1. gr4z macrumors 6502

Should we be recording our face for FaceID in certain conditions to make it the most reliable it can be? Every so often my fails seemingly only in dark conditions. It’s only infrequently but happens all the same.

Should I re-record in dimly lit conditions to make it more reliable?

Thanks

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

In theory, you should be able to record your face in daylight or in darkness if you so wish. But others are reporting that they feel Face ID is more reliable when they set it up initially in the dark.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I did my face in the SUV outside the Apple Store and one side had sun shining in it and it has not failed a single time for me.

4. MyNamesNotBob macrumors newbie

I was in the kitchen making coffee, and it’s reliable, so probably best to do it with coffee

5. KrisLord macrumors 68000

With the use of infra red in both initial setup and unlock I don’t think it’s really needed.

Whilst some have said it works better, I don’t think it’s a representative sample of users.

Given that Face ID is permanently learning about our face, I feel simply continuing to use the device without reset is probably a better approach.

6. gr4z thread starter macrumors 6502

7. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

I watched my wife rush through it with her phone very close to her face. Then it was pretty unreliable for her. I had her set it up again, moving her head slower and holding the phone further away... now it works perfectly. Anecdotal though, as it might have just worked better the second time for other reasons.

8. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

I did mine is low light, but I also went really really slow around the circle as far as I could turn while still looking at the phone with my eyes. I haven't had a fail yet.