Does it matter that my just-purchased iMac does not include Mavericks?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chris401, Dec 29, 2013.

1. chris401 macrumors newbie

Just got home from Best Buy and didn't even look at the box. This iMac is not preloaded with Mavericks--it's still rocking 10.8.4. Does that matter?

I noticed a discussion thread on apple support where people kept returning to get Mavericks preloaded. Why? Does it matter?

I checked the WiFi hardware and it includes /ac, so I assume I have the latest and greatest hardware, just need to update the software. But that's a bit weird considering this came out in October.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has be re-hashed already. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue.

2. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Hm it's strange. I would just double check the specs again to be certain that it's up to date. Otherwise, upgrading to mavericks is very easy.

3. mpantone, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

Not a big deal, Mavericks is a free download.

As a matter of fact, some would say this is better. You can configure your Mountain Lion system and stay there for a while before you upgrade to Mavericks.

In the interim, you might want to make a full Time Machine backup of your system. That way, you have something to fall back to in case you don't like Mavericks.

It's not that surprising. Channel inventory (i.e., third-party retail partners) is probably a couple of months old anyhow.

Note that the day Apple announces a new operating system, it's not like their contract manufacturers are going to start pumping out product with the new OS. Most likely there is a stockpile of drives that have been cloned with the previous operating system sitting in the parts bin.

4. chris401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. What's an easy way to confirm? I checked the network settings under the System Report, and WiFi Supported PHY Modes are: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

And About this Mac says "Late 2013" and Model as iMac14,2

Anything else to confirm? I'm glad someone else thought it was weird. Guess I should have looked at the box before walking out of there.

There's no way this could have been a return or something? The box was sealed and the plastic wrap was on everything.

5. mpantone macrumors 6502

Don't worry about it. You have the latest hardware.

The latest software is a simple download. Not a big deal.

6. chris401 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the thoughts and reply. And good idea on the time machine back up. Doing one now.

7. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Well as long as the specs match up, then you should be okay!

8. Prise macrumors regular

No, it's brand new, but just wasn't loaded with Mavericks. With Apple, a sealed retail box always denotes a new product.

Just load Mavericks via the app store, or from a bootable usb with a clean install. Before doing so, you could time machine a backup of Lion, just in case you don't like the new OS.

9. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I ordered my BTO iMac from Apple in late November and it came with Mavericks. A friend ordered a maxed out one from B&H the last week of December, it did not come with Mavericks. No problem though, I think during initial setup he was prompted to upgrade to Mavericks.

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep. BTO ones are fresh from the factory so will normally have the latest (they'll probably be shipping with 10.9.1 now).

Channel partner ones, and, indeed, often Apple retail stock, will be older (it takes them a while to sell through) will have an older version. Even when OS upgrades were paid, they were still free if you bought a new mac which came with the old version.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I bought mine from John Lewis a few weeks back and it can with Mountain Lion.