Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcl

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Calif.
Does it matter what program I use to repair permissions on my computer HD ?

:apple:- OS X 10.5.5 Disk Utility - Booted on Setup Disk or while logged in

:rolleyes:- SuperDuper!

:rolleyes:- Onyx

:rolleyes:- Cocktail

- etc., etc., etc.

Any recommendations - Are they all basically doing exactly the same repair, or do some programs do a better job than others ?

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
...Any recommendations - Are they all basically doing exactly the same repair, or do some programs do a better job than others ?

For permissions repair at least, all of the apps that you mention - as well as Apple's Disk Utility - are doing no more than invoking the "diskutil" command-line utility that comes as part of OS X. It's just easier (and less scary:)) to do it via a GUI-based app than restarting in Single User Mode, opening up Terminal and typing sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

So they're all doing the exact same thing.

dcl

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Calif.
Thank You,
That's what I figured.

Any tools in Onyx - You would stay away from using ?

Any other 3rd party tools you recommend using for system maintenance ?

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Thank You,That's what I figured.Any tools in Onyx - You would stay away from using ?Any other 3rd party tools you recommend using for system maintenance ?

Nope OnyX is safe to use, like the above poster mentioned they all pretty much do just the same job as each other, the only other maintenance app that hasn't been mentioned is MainMenu but its down to personal preferences which one you use

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
For permissions repair at least, all of the apps that you mention - as well as Apple's Disk Utility - are doing no more than invoking the "diskutil" command-line utility that comes as part of OS X. It's just easier (and less scary:)) to do it via a GUI-based app than restarting in Single User Mode, opening up Terminal and typing sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

So they're all doing the exact same thing.
Is Single User Mode really necessary ? I've always just used vanilla mode but I'm interested to hear why I shouldn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.