Does it matter where I buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khkman22, Jun 18, 2009.

1. khkman22 macrumors member

I'm just wondering if it matters where I buy the 3GS for a couple reasons.

1. If I buy at an AT&T store, can I return to an Apple store for replacement under the warranty or do I have to take it back to AT&T?
    2. If I buy from the Apple store, will I still get my FAN discount on the iPhone data plan? Currently I have a $15 data plan added to my phone that was added by calling Premier, but I don't receive the discount. However, when I go to upgrade through the Premier website, it shows the data plan as $25.50 instead of $30 (15% discount) for the 3GS. So I just want to make sure I will be able to get a discount on the data plan as well, not just the service portion, if I get it at an Apple store.

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

If you buy from Apple, you only have 14 days to return it.
    If you buy from AT&T, you have 30 days.

FAN discounts don't apply to iPhone hardware, so that part is moot.
    You will still be eligible for the FAN discounts on your rate/data plan regardless of where you get it.

Apple will still honor warranty claims regardless of where you purchase it.

3. khkman22 thread starter macrumors member

Just want to verify/clarify the discount on the data plan.

Why is my $15 non-smartphone plan not discounted, but the iPhone plan is? Is it because the iPhone data plan is required as part of service, but the $15 plan is considered an add-on feature (my account online says I only receive 15% off of service on the 1st line only and that is all)? No text package receives the discount so I am just wondering what makes the iPhone different than my current data plan, or if AT&T has just messed up by not currently giving me the discount?

And am I guaranteed the $25.50 rate they quote me online or could they change it after I order by telling me my FAN account only applies to the service portion?

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

I couldn't tell you.
    I don't know how your FAN account is setup.
    Mine is a flat 20% off everything except hardware.

5. khkman22 thread starter macrumors member

My bill just showed up online and even though my online account shows no discount, I did get credited for my data plan. This was my first month to add the feature so I had been waiting to see how they would handle it. Looks like I'll be okay on my discount however I order it.