Does it matter which Windows7 I choose for gaming?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shivetya, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Going to swap out my iMac for a more current one, so I need a new Windows 7 OEM copy... but does it really matter which?

System will 12gb ram and occasionally boot W7 through Parallels

2. MJL macrumors 6502a

No, the different versions have more to do with business environments (collaboration, networking, intranet security).

Windows licenses can be expensive - just be on the lookout for an old desktop that has a non-oem windows 7 license sticker on the side. No-one wants them and you pay less for them than for the license (that is if you have the media).

3. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

I paid 99 for my Window 7 license which to me is not bad, I just wanted to be sure not to buy more features than I needed to support Windows gaming. As such, I went with Home Premium 64bit

4. MJL macrumors 6502a

I've been looking at the US prices which are lower than those here in New Zealand. Very annoying to see the differences (especially when we compare hardware prices to get some feel of ratio: we pay about double for software in comparison... OEM is cheaper but cannot be transferred)