Does it really matter when you buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blueprint1983, Jan 13, 2011.

1. blueprint1983 macrumors 6502

My Applecare is running out on March 11th and I plan on selling my early 2008 Macbook Pro (not unibody, aluminum) around that time. I'm basically hunting for a good deal right now on another Macbook Pro. My question is, do you guys think that the prices for the current line will go drastically down whenever the new line gets released? Also, how far into the future are we looking at for that announcement (I know it's just an educated guess..)

Any general buying advice is appreciated.;)

2. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

The price probably won't change significantly. New features will be added and it will become faster. I know there are subsites out there which track and predict, generally, when an Apple product is due for a refresh (maybe someone can recall one of those locations off the top of their head). Apple is a little less predictable when it comes to their computers, though.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I've seen the lowest end 15" MBP drop down to I believe 1500 or 1600 w/ edu discount upon release of the nuBook pros. As far as used prices, I suspect the rapid dumping of old stock buy hungry customers trying to refresh their gear will flood the market and depress the prices, but then again some people are stubborn and will try to command a premium anyway. In short, you will probably save if buying new, but that depends on how awesome the newest one is.

lol. that is all.

4. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, looking at this one atm:

Ebay Link

it's alot of money for alot of computer but I like everything except the i5 part (wish it was a i7).

Pretty good deal but I might be able to find something better on CL..

5. IMakeNoSense macrumors newbie

With a macbook pro refresh looming, the only major issue with buying now is the resell value dropping more quickly. The i5 processor should be able to handle most anything you throw at it.

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want gaming or high performance, wait. If you just want a Macbook Pro, by one now. If you want battery life, buy the 13 inch. If you want a desktop replacement, buy a 17 inch.

As for the new line coming out, I would say no later than April 2011. I'm guessing new features will be a Sandy Bridge quad core, better NVIDIA card (hopefully at least a GTX 460M but not hopeful), Light Peak interface technology (nothing special yet - not really 'light' based but copper based as of 2011 and the foreseeable future), a wonky new design (can't wait to see what they come up with... I'm guessing an aluminum bottom shell that is topped with glass, like the iPad and iPhone designs. Perhaps the trackpad would be integrated as part of the glass, and it is visible when the computer is turned on and LED lighting glows in the shape of the trackpad...

In general, prices for the previous line don't drop by that much unless the new line is really something or there's something wrong with the laptop in question.

7. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trying a MC024LL/A new for $1600 off the always reputable Craigslist, tomorrow.

8. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

9. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll let you know how the Craigslist transaction goes, if I don't respond in 24 hours, I'm probably swimming with the fishes.

lol

not funny i know.

The model is the current baseline 17" Macbook Pro, sealed/brand new. MC024LL/A

$1600

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd be very very cautious, the price seems awfully low for a "sealed/brand new" that seems to go for over $2100+ from Amazon and others. The CL seller knows anyone he's meeting is showing up with around $1600 in cash.

11. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have lesser back-up deal via eBay worked out with a seller there that's waaay more legit but not as good as this one. The downside of this deal is that we've already set-up meeting times an will be meeting today at a public place. We've been texting since last night, i'm going to definitely give him a call before i drive an hour to meet him.:rolleyes:

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

I sure hope you don't get the kind of jerk who raises the price once you meet, if he knows you drove an hour.

Don't get me wrong, I like CL and have used it a lot. But as with all situations, while most people are decent honest folks just trying to get by, there are plenty of scammers, thieves, and jerks in the mix too.

13. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

he just texted me and said, "i'll be the guy on crutches."

now, i feel better, cause at least I can outrun him if he tries anything funny.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I just can't help by ask... how do you know he actually needs the crutches? :D

I don't mean to be a naysayer, just that the first step of any con is to get the victim to let their guard down.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I posted this in another thread but this is something any potential buyer should read. The only real thing is that everyone is getting worked up over waiting so much that I think it is a little silly. Really, these laptops will last and be modern for years and just because an update is coming doesn't mean that you should put yourself through agony waiting if you need a computer. The current Unibody MacBook Pro is one of the, possibly the, best rated premium laptop available. I would argue it is THE BEST based on consumer reviews. What has been the case thus far is that no current laptop family has anywhere near as consistently high reviews throughout the entire product line as the MacBook Pro. Check it out!

Over 250 reviews have the 13 inch MacBook Pro at 4.9 out of 5 average making it the highest rated 13 inch laptop that Best Buy sells and it is the BEST rated premium computer that Best Buy has in their entire system!!! Despite using the older Core 2 Duo processor, it is still rated higher than the iX series PC's...actually it is rated higher by a landslide!!!

The 15 inch MacBook Pro happens to be the highest rated 15 inch that Best Buy sells-all configurations have a 4.6 out of 5 or higher

I couldn't leave the 17 inch out; rest assured it is also a winner!

Actually, out of about 50 computers, only 1 PC happened to rank as high as the numerous MacBook Pros. Everything else has mixed to terrible ratings. The MacBook Pro isn't just rated better; it is rated better by a moderate landslide

This is where the proof is and given all of the MacBook Pros are rated substantially higher than all but 1 PC, you can rest assured that extra money you spent has been well worth it. If this doesn't make you want to purchase a MacBook Pro, nothing will.

16. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Brand new sealed, 1600, he had an acl tear.

Nice guy, smooth transaction

17. molala macrumors 6502a

Wow, I'm glad the transaction worked out. I would have worried for your safety too.

When the new laptops are released, Amazon drops the price of the previous stock (they have in the past anyway). But I don't think it would have been as low as $1600, so great buy.

18. blueprint1983 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, i posted my last post from my iphone so I never got too detailed.

The guy was in a car accident, got a torn acl, spent his settlement check on stuff he really couldn't afford or need and is now recouping the costs. He actually couldn't get out of his car so he just gave me the laptop and said go in the pizza restaurant and check it out. There was no point since it was sealed brand new in box (I still opened it up though).

I forgot to ask him to bring the receipt for the laptop so he's gonna e-mail or mail it to me at a business address. It's funny at the end of the transaction we were both talking about how paranoid and nervous we were before we actually met.

I rolled the dice, and it worked this time.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Glad that worked out for you, thanks for reporting back!

20. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Sure that ACL tear happen as he was running from security with that MBP? I'm envious of that deal