Does it really VOID the warranty to upgrade hard drives in a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fs454, Dec 10, 2007.

1. fs454 macrumors 68000

I hear since the process is complicated, the warranty is void if a newer HDD is installed in a Macbook Pro.

Is this true? I'm capable of disassembling it as I'm very very familiar with computers and have built over 10 of them and have dismantled many laptops.

If it is true, is it possible that I can buy a 3rd party drive and have Apple do the install?

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I believe if you cause damage to the machine by replacing the HDD your warranty will not cover the machine anymore.

Apple will not install another HDD for you (at least when I asked that same question at my local Apple store that is the response that I got).

3. fs454 thread starter macrumors 68000

So if I'm careful and don't break anything, it's still covered after my new drive is installed?

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Correct. Apple will however not cover anything related to the new drive.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't know if that is true. I would think that once the machine is opened up, the warranty would be voided, so any problem you would have regardless of what it is would not be covered. Now you may be able to open it up with out them know you did, or you may not, I do not know.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Just read the warranty agreement that came with the computer (I know it has really small text but that's where the answer is) - if it mentions opening your computer will void your warranty then that's that.

7. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Wasn't there some kind of law passed in the US where consumers have the right to not-from-the-manufacturer ram and hdd? I thought I had seen that alluded to in the past on similar forums.... any one know for sure?

8. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    ^^^If only that was true...I could then legally upgrade the HD in my consoles. If you can alter the hardware of a computer however you want, why is it illegal to do the same with a gaming console. The computer can actually be used in more illegal ways than a console can be...anyway off topic:rolleyes:

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Instead of saying what you think, why don't you find out what's true?

In this case, according to Apple's Warranty, you may open the case and replace a hard drive, but if you cause damage to any other components, that damage will not be covered under warranty, and neither will the drive you removed or (obviously) the new drive you installed.

jW

10. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi fs454,

The process is not complicated at all. Find a good description, right screwdrivers and go ahead.

Cheers,
    sash

11. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I guess that makes the question more subjective. Let's say you do successfully replace your internal HD and RAM, suffer no ill effects, and a few weeks later something goes wrong. What is the likelihood that either you caused it, or will be blamed for it. From Apple's point of view, how do they know you didn't just swap the RAM yesterday, thus toasting the pooch? (I suppose you could prove the HDD was working for a while via syslog analysis, software update logs, etc., but the onus would likely fall to you to do so.)

I upgraded more than a few PPC 8100s back in the day, when user upgradeability wasn't Apple's strongest selling point. While that was hard, putting RAM in my Mini last month made me feel like a sausage fingered giant. Ample opportunity to fug it up. Luckily I didn't.

Or did I?

DAH, Dah, daaah.

12. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

13. heatmiser macrumors 68020

It's pretty simple: if you don't want the Apple store to screw you out of your warranty, don't replace your hard drive. if you're willing to take the risk, go for it.

14. ///alpinepower macrumors member

yes, the uniform commercial code, written by llewellyn decades ago. and it says what? read the warranty that came with it.

15. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Chances are, if you read good instructions and do it carefully, you'll be able to replace the drive perfectly. It really isn't that hard.

However, if you ever need the machine looked at, Apple will know it wasn't performed by an authorized repair technician because they'll notice the non-standard drive and know that A) you didn't upgrade it at time of purchase and B) there's no record of a technician working on it (Apple keeps meticulous records of all their in-warranty repairs, and those of their authorized service technicians).

So weight the risk and decide for yourself.

16. island macrumors 6502

island

If you do it right, no one will know but you. Just swap the drives back before any repair.

17. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Exactly!