Does it REALLY worth to invest on the new model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dvir971, Oct 27, 2016.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

I find what Apple did with this one disgusting. Not the computer. The computer is perfect, probably best in the market. But the pricing thing? Keeping the old models the same price and putting the new ones on top of it? Bloody disgusting.

My friend has a question and she needs consult on buying a Mac. Let's assume she is not LOADED with money, like you have to be to buy the new models. She is going to design school and she is using heavy design software and she needs a strong computer. The touch bar thing is not so important for her.
    So my question here is, performance wise, does it REALLY worth it investing in the new model, or she can buy the older model and get a computer that is as strong (at least almost) just without the Touch Bar, which can ACE the design school stuff? Is the new model significantly more powerful?
    And if it does worth it to buy the new one, is it critical (performance wise) to buy the 512 GB model in stead of the 256 GB one?

2. catportal macrumors member

catportal

Wait for Kaby Lake for HEVC and VP9. For a computer this expensive, you want it to last more than a year.

3. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

ihatetoregister

4. t^3 macrumors regular

If price is an issue, I'd find a refurbished last year's model. They are still very capable and should be fine for design school. She can get a new one after graduation if the performance is lagging by then. That said, buying the new one now is pricey but I think it's a good investment that'll last for many years. I used to upgrade every 3 years because performance seemed to get slow with newer software, and I currently have a late 2013 rMBP, but this time I think I can go another year or more.

I highly doubt there'll be a Kaby Lake model. Apple's speed bumps have been trending toward yearly now, so I'd think Cannonlake will be the next update.