Does it seem like my Macbook Pro is dying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mueller, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Mueller macrumors newbie

I've had three problems all in one week. Maybe someone can tell me if they think this is all connected, or just random. I have a 2.5GHz Macbook Pro purchased in February '08.

1) If I go without the power adapter, and let the battery die out, I get to around 80% and suddenly my MPB turns off. It shuts down, and I can turn it back on, only to have it shut down again. I assume it's poor battery life that isn't being read correctly.

2) I get "Kernal Panics"? (I think that is what they're called). Anytime I try to shut down or restart my computer, the screen turns gray, and says I need to manually shut it down. I have 4GB Crucial RAM, and I was told test the RAM with Hardware disk, and I did, no problems. I replaced it back with old 2GB of Apple, and the kernal panics still happen. What can I do?

3) I never noticed this before, but lets say I'm on my MPB, I am running iChat and Safari, and my fans are not noticeable at all. I can barely hear them, which is fine. Then I boot-up VM Fusion (Windows XP), and suddenly it's roaring. I mean it fills the whole room, and it feels like it's maxing itself out without any controls. I can't talk on the microphone to friends because it's too loud they say.

I downloaded a program called "Smc Fan Control" which is to monitor my fans, and control them, but it doesn't work. They're peeking at 6000 speed, and when I choose to lower then back to 2000, nothing happens. It remains loud.

Does this look like a consistent downhill slide?

2. JDee macrumors 6502a

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

If you have Apple Care I would strongly suggest making a Genius Bar Appointment. It does seem like your laptop is dying.

4. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

You can try reseting the PRAM. But yea... I hope you bought applecare being only a couple months out of warranty.