Does it void your warranty if.......

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Technically anything involving disassembling the device voids the warranty, but only if Apple sees signs that anything was damaged. If you leave scuffs/scratches on the seams of the device or there are wires crimped/severed inside there's no way it left the factory like that. Same goes for swapping the back with a white one if you have a black iPhone...

maxamo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Technically anything involving disassembling the device voids the warranty, but only if Apple sees signs that anything was damaged. If you leave scuffs/scratches on the seams of the device or there are wires crimped/severed inside there's no way it left the factory like that. Same goes for swapping the back with a white one if you have a black iPhone...
Do they have security seals that break if you take off the back?

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
They do not. I opened mine last night and there are absoltlely no seals to break on the back cover. The local Apple store told me that it is the same as with the macbook Pros. you can take the cover off, but if you screw something up while you are in there, too bad so sad. If you slide the back off and replace it with a white one, and then if it ever needs service put the black back on. They will never know the difference.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I don't know about the iP4, but I replaced a screen on my 3G and 3GS and have gotten both of them replaced from Apple.
The iPhone 4's back comes off much easier, so I would assume Apple has no idea. When they take off the back to check, whatever sticker or sensor would then be tripped.
If there are visible gouges or pry marks, then a genius might say something.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They do not. I opened mine last night and there are absoltlely no seals to break on the back cover. The local Apple store told me that it is the same as with the macbook Pros. you can take the cover off, but if you screw something up while you are in there, too bad so sad. If you slide the back off and replace it with a white one, and then if it ever needs service put the black back on. They will never know the difference.
This is what the warranty reads:

This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by use with non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake or other external causes; (c) to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Apple; (d) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (e) to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (f) to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (g) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; or (h) if any Apple serial number has been removed or defaced.
That DOES vod your warranty, however like anything in life, only if they can prove it. based on reports, there is not internal seal to be break.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
This is what the warranty reads:

That DOES vod your warranty, however like anything in life, only if they can prove it. based on reports, there is not internal seal to be break.
I think we are saying the same thing. You can open it up and put it back together all day long. You can even disassemble it. But, the moment you cause damage due to the opening or messing around inside, you are voided.

I dont read that phrase as the act of removing the cover voids the warranty. I read it as if you cause damage while "servicing it" Tuff...

Mrcontradiction

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Help

I took of my iPhone 4s back cover the other day and I went to Put it back on and realized that what was most likely some double sided tape holding a wire in place had broken, no wires or anything is busted, just possibly some glue.. Is my warranty voided?

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I took of my iPhone 4s back cover the other day and I went to Put it back on and realized that what was most likely some double sided tape holding a wire in place had broken, no wires or anything is busted, just possibly some glue.. Is my warranty voided?
YES as already stated many many many times any disassembly by anyone other than apple voids your warranty , clear enough for ya now?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Actually NO, your warrant is NOT voided. The only way your warranty would be void is if you caused damage to the device while screwing around with it. As long as it's functioning properly, you didn't cause any damage by opening it. So you are still under warranty. Now, if said wire happens to break off at some point because the glue is no longer holding it in place, you are probably S%$T out of luck.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Yeah, but technically so does jailbreaking. Psh.
So what? If you choose to use your device outside the warranty limits, that's totally up to you and they're not stopping you. To expect full service after knowingly voiding the warranty is just....sad.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Actually NO, your warrant is NOT voided. The only way your warranty would be void is if you caused damage to the device while screwing around with it. As long as it's functioning properly, you didn't cause any damage by opening it. So you are still under warranty. Now, if said wire happens to break off at some point because the glue is no longer holding it in place, you are probably S%$T out of luck.
DIRECT FROM APPLE
Important: Do not open the Apple Product. Opening the Apple Product may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this Apple Product.

And as he stated something came loose therefore as I stated above warranty is void. :apple:

Mrcontradiction

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
DIRECT FROM APPLE
Important: Do not open the Apple Product. Opening the Apple Product may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this Apple Product.

And as he stated something came loose therefore as I stated above warranty is void. :apple:

It MAY cause damage, but I didn't, glue came loose, so technically it's not voided.. Pheww

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
DIRECT FROM APPLE

Yes, my point exactly. Apple is warning you that if you open the phone and break something, you are SOL. But if you don't damage anything, you're good. He opened it and then closed it back and the phone still functions perfectly fine. Warranty still applies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.