Does it void your warranty if.......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maxamo, Jul 29, 2010.

1. maxamo macrumors member

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Technically anything involving disassembling the device voids the warranty, but only if Apple sees signs that anything was damaged. If you leave scuffs/scratches on the seams of the device or there are wires crimped/severed inside there's no way it left the factory like that. Same goes for swapping the back with a white one if you have a black iPhone...

3. maxamo thread starter macrumors member

Do they have security seals that break if you take off the back?

4. maxamo thread starter macrumors member

Really?

5. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

I really doubt it. When I took my ip4 in for battery issue the genius took the back off and didn't note it anywhere in my history.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yes, Any modification to the phone that require disassembling by a non-Apple authorized personal will void your warranty.

7. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

I suppose he wouldn't ba a "genius" if he voided your warranty. ;)

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

They do not. I opened mine last night and there are absoltlely no seals to break on the back cover. The local Apple store told me that it is the same as with the macbook Pros. you can take the cover off, but if you screw something up while you are in there, too bad so sad. If you slide the back off and replace it with a white one, and then if it ever needs service put the black back on. They will never know the difference.

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I don't know about the iP4, but I replaced a screen on my 3G and 3GS and have gotten both of them replaced from Apple.
    The iPhone 4's back comes off much easier, so I would assume Apple has no idea. When they take off the back to check, whatever sticker or sensor would then be tripped.
    If there are visible gouges or pry marks, then a genius might say something.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

This is what the warranty reads:

That DOES vod your warranty, however like anything in life, only if they can prove it. based on reports, there is not internal seal to be break.

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Yeah, but technically so does jailbreaking. Psh.

12. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

I think we are saying the same thing. You can open it up and put it back together all day long. You can even disassemble it. But, the moment you cause damage due to the opening or messing around inside, you are voided.

I dont read that phrase as the act of removing the cover voids the warranty. I read it as if you cause damage while "servicing it" Tuff...

13. Mrcontradiction macrumors newbie

Help

I took of my iPhone 4s back cover the other day and I went to Put it back on and realized that what was most likely some double sided tape holding a wire in place had broken, no wires or anything is busted, just possibly some glue.. Is my warranty voided?

14. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

YES as already stated many many many times any disassembly by anyone other than apple voids your warranty , clear enough for ya now?

15. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Actually NO, your warrant is NOT voided. The only way your warranty would be void is if you caused damage to the device while screwing around with it. As long as it's functioning properly, you didn't cause any damage by opening it. So you are still under warranty. Now, if said wire happens to break off at some point because the glue is no longer holding it in place, you are probably S%$T out of luck.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So what? If you choose to use your device outside the warranty limits, that's totally up to you and they're not stopping you. To expect full service after knowingly voiding the warranty is just....sad.

17. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

DIRECT FROM APPLE
    Important: Do not open the Apple Product. Opening the Apple Product may cause damage that is not covered by this warranty. Only Apple or an AASP should perform service on this Apple Product.

And as he stated something came loose therefore as I stated above warranty is void. :apple:

18. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

ive opened every iphone ive owned
    never voided my warranty

19. Mrcontradiction macrumors newbie

It MAY cause damage, but I didn't, glue came loose, so technically it's not voided.. Pheww

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yes, my point exactly. Apple is warning you that if you open the phone and break something, you are SOL. But if you don't damage anything, you're good. He opened it and then closed it back and the phone still functions perfectly fine. Warranty still applies.