Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
I am thinking of getting a HP for home but also for travelling so where I will be staying may not have WiFi.

Does the HP work without a WiFi if I use Bluetooth ? I am only looking at it say on holiday for playback from my iPhone or iPad where music has already been downloaded.

(Apologies for garbled message!)

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
HomePod isn’t a Bluetooth speaker. You must have WiFi. It isn’t a travel speaker either since it only works with the WiFi network your iOS device uses during setup.

emembee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2013
Surrey,UK
HomePod isn’t a Bluetooth speaker. You must have WiFi. It isn’t a travel speaker either since it only works with the WiFi network your iOS device uses during setup.
I have WiFi where I live but not where I am going to stay on holiday, so it looks like I cant use it. All I wanted to do was play music from my phone ...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Nope, as JBaby said. The HomePod is a WiFi-speaker, not a Bluetooth speaker.

Stupid it thing is, it has a bluetooth 5.0 chip in it. Only used for the initial setup...

Reactions: JBaby

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I am thinking of getting a HP for home but also for travelling so where I will be staying may not have WiFi.

Does the HP work without a WiFi if I use Bluetooth ? I am only looking at it say on holiday for playback from my iPhone or iPad where music has already been downloaded.

(Apologies for garbled message!)

Yes, kind of....

If you goto speaker access in its settings in the Home app and set access to 'everyone' (recommend using a password) neither your iphone/ipad or the HomePod needs to be connected to wifi.

The reason I said 'kind' of is because bluetooth is used to establish a ad-hoc wifi connection for peer-to-peer communication.

That that point you can use AirPlay. You will not be able to do much directly from the HomePod obviously since it doesn't have its own data. The same applies to the AppleTV since mid generation of the AppleTV 3.

Reactions: emembee

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I have WiFi where I live but not where I am going to stay on holiday, so it looks like I cant use it. All I wanted to do was play music from my phone ...

Hey just thought you might like to look at getting a Minirig for this... they are brilliant, I have the 2.1 setup for when I’m travelling. Great sound, amazing battery life, made in/near Bristol. https://minirigs.co.uk/

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Another reason the AirPort Express is so cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.