Does it worth to move to Macbook Pro Retina 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Isa Al, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Isa Al macrumors member

Hey

I have the MBP mid 2010 15" with 8GB RAM, Core i7, 2.66 Ghz and I am wondering does it really worth to move to 2014 15" retina display?

I am not a designer or a developer just a student who studies, surf internet, microsoft office, and other normal stuff so I am not that heavy user but what I like about the retina is that it's good for the eyes and lighter because I always carry it.

so in your opinion does it worth moving like will I feel a real difference? and as I know the latest one is early 2014 so when will Apple release the Mid 2014?

Thanks

2. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

I use mine for everything (software development, school, photoshop, etc.) - but I can say the Retina display has its penny worth in any scenario, because it makes you want to look at the screen. :D

I don't even print off PDFs anymore for school, because the screen is as sharp as paper. :)

3. djplaxe2109 macrumors 6502

For you, it would be about the screen, that's all. For your light usage, it wouldn't make much of a difference. You just have to decide if the retina screen is worth $1700

4. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

If you can afford it, get it. You don't need to be a designer to appreciate the quality and luxury of a rMBP. If you sell your old computer at a decent price, the price jump won't be all that huge.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

the latest macbook pro was released fall 2013, no updates so far this year.

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

That's what I thought.

But with regards to the OP - we're sort of on the same boat. I have a mid-2010 but a 17" MBP with a Hi-Res screen. I've upgraded it to the max, even with a dual SSD/HDD - so it's plenty fast for me, for what I do with it. At this point, I'm waiting for it to either just die or I come in to extra money for a maxed-out 15 rMBP. Though, when I eventually do, I'm sure I'll miss the extra 2" that I've had for nearly 4 years now.

7. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Are there any speculations about this year's mbp updates?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no 2014 MBP and there's nothing for apple to improve at the moment, i.e., they're waiting on the delayed Broadwell chipset.

Given your usage and needs, there doesn't seem to be a burning need to upgrade so I'd hold off. The old adage fits well here, if you don't need a computer then don't buy one.