Does it worth to upgrade to new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tolive, Apr 11, 2009.

1. tolive macrumors member

I'm using a 15" 2.16G MBP currently, it's the version that supports up to 3G memory, bought it about 2 years ago.

Just wondering: does it worth to upgrade to the new released 2.4G 15" MBP? any significant difference or advantage? I project that the upgrade would cost about $600.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'm sure you'll be able to feel the performance increase with the new unibodies.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well if you are going to upgrade i would upgrade to the 2.66 because it can support 8GB of RAM. the 2.4 as of right now (and there isnt much hope for it supporting 8GB) can only support 6GB. i am assuming that this is what is important to you because it is the only feature you listed for your old computer. so if 6GB is fine then get the 2.4 if you want the option of 8GB get the 2.66. all tho that does add another $400 so the upgrade would ultimately end up being $1000

4. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    Actually I don't care about 6GB/8GB difference that much, even my current 3GB is acceptable.
    What I really care about are:
    1. LCD quality, my 15" 2.16G MBP LCD has uneven brightness as many reported;
    2. Keyboard issue: my 15" 2.16G MBP has keyboard delay: frequently miss the leading 1-2 characters when I start typing.
    3. Battery quality: I've changed battery twice in 2 years, the first one last 10 months, dropped to 30% capacity, the 2nd one last about one year, dropped to about 40% capacity...

I don't care too much about the performance, anyway it's a laptop, my powerhouse is still a Windows quad-core PC.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

1. do you like glassy screens. if you are really opposed to glare than you should definitley not buy one now. i personally love the new LED backlight screens. the best looking screen i have seen on a laptop. the resolution is good and the color accuracy and grey scale are outstanding.

2. did it start out that way? that is something that you wont have a problem with on a new computer. and if you do that is something that apple care covers and you will get a new one anyway.

3. With normal use i get about 3.5hrs of battery life. my computer is only about a month old so i cant tell you how long it is going to stay like that, but if you take good care of your battery it should last you about 2-2.5 years.

6. tolive thread starter macrumors member

1. I prefer matte LCD because sometime I need to use photoshop, color accuracy is very important to me, I myself have color meter but found that for the 2.16G MBP LCD it's is basically impossible to get a good accurate color profile.

2. I found the keyboard delay in 1 week after I got the MBP, and asked the question here, got many responses.

3. My current battery has about 40% capacity left, normal use, it can last about 1 hour and 20 minutes. The new 15" MBP claims about 5 hours, is that true for normal usage? or you cannot do anything, just turn the MBP on to get that hour?

7. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Just get the 2.66 17" matte and you will be happy. If you want a matte screen thats your cheapest option. It sounds like from you needs it worth it and I'm sure you will be happy with the purchase. Its really a pretty easy answer as to whether its worth it.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

1. like i said the the color accuracy is pretty incredible. but the glare can be an issue. if you want a matte screen you will have to go to the 17" and then your $600 upgrade goes out the window. but if you can get by the glare the screen is excellent.

2. it seems like you have the keyboard thing in order. i have had no problems with mine.

3. the 5 hour is a bit ambitous for sure. but if you keep the brightness down with no back light on the keyboard and you are doing simple browsing or word typing ect you should get about 4-5 hrs. watching movies is different. i was watching South Park on my computer and i got through 5.5 episodes (about 2.5 hrs).

9. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm sure I'd be happy when I get the 17" 2.66 MBP, but I'm also sure I wouldn't be happy to see my credit card statement in the following month.:)

Cannot justify for a MBP that costs more than $2K, to be honest, I prefer Mac over PC laptop, but not that crazy.

10. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I understand that...I guess I was saying the 17 on the basis you wanted a matte screen. Honestly, I had the 15 glassy and loved it. Do it, I'm positive you'll be happy

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Okay, I'll bite....what's causing the keyboard delay?

12. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

I just got a 2.4 UMBP as replacement for that exact model. You can see below why they finally replaced it.

1) The screen does seem more uniform. The "glassy" look is really not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but that's just my opinion. It's no brighter than some of the CCFL displays, but it does seem a tad sharper.

2) I've never had any keyboard issues with the old or new model.

3) So far so good. I too went through 2 batteries in my 2.16 MBP so I know how they go through batteries. The capacity of the new batteries is 4600 vs 5500 in the old batteries and it shows in the battery runtime. This is doubly true if you actually use the faster GPU.

Is it an "upgrade"? Honestly, not a big one. It's a crossgrade unless you are running into some other known limitation of the older unit. I would not pay for this round of upgrades and wait till the next major round of changes ( or until your current unit gives out ).

13. tolive thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot snowmoon!
    This is exactly what I want to know.